NAB adaptors that don't suck?

I could be completely wrong about how these work with Teacs since I must confess that I haven't tried them on a Teac. I just see the Akai cinch-down mechanism on these as being totally redundant when used with the Teac spindles which serve exactly the same purpose.

I don't think the mechanism activaed by turning the inner ring, has any hold down function , only a "center on spindle" - as the ring makes three "blocks" press against the spindle. (yellow arrow)

attachment.php

The entire adaptor are hold to the reel table, but letting the spindle lock rest in the three grooves (marked red)

The problem with these on the Sony R2Rs is that they will not cinch-up evenly because of the way that the back spacer-piece presses unevenly against the reel table. Test it for yourself:

On my 765 the AKAI adaptor rests firmly towards the reel table - no wobbling here.... - my adaptor has a flat surfavce underneath

Attachments

• akai_nabs2.jpg
    akai_nabs2.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 147
On my 765 the AKAI adaptor rests firmly towards the reel table - no wobbling here.... - my adaptor has a flat surfavce underneath
Mine have these three flanges which protrude from the hubs. These 3 flanges don't fit evenly against the raised-edges of the Sony Reel-tables, and this keep the adapters from coming into flat-contact with the center of the reel table. This causes them to rock very slightly on Akai's cinch-down mounts because the hubs can't find an even footing against the Sony's reel-tables.

Mine have these three flanges which protrude from the hubs. These 3 flanges don't fit evenly against the raised-edges of the Sony Reel-tables, and this keep the adapters from coming into flat-contact with the center of the reel table. This causes them to rock very slightly on Akai's cinch-down mounts because the hubs can't find an even footing against the Sony's reel-tables.

hmmm..... maybe there are different reel tables on Sony's - 765 has a flat reel table

attachment.php

I honestly can't say what other models has :)

That could explain a lot

The plastic Revox nab adaptors seem to be well made.My faves though (especially for looks),are the metal ones pictured.At first I thought they were also made by Revox,but they might be 70's TDK,as I've since been given the boxes they were found in,these are very well-engineered (no plastic whatsoever).

paulb001-50_zpsdf33eeaa.jpg
[/IMG]

These are the best NAB adapters. They are similarily to the Pioneer PP220A, but the difference is that the 3 posts are mounted on a piece of steel (flat spring).
They adapt automatically to each NAB hole size, clicking in strongly enough to hold a full reel of tape to fall out when holdig the NAB hub in the hand with the reel down side.
They also don't scratch the reels because aren't locking by rotation.

dscf0413m.jpg

I have them in silver and red color as pictured with 12 or 24 side holes.
These NABs are made of full aluminium block and the 3 posts of polished stainles steel.

Vlad

I know this post is old, but I wondered where you got those hubs? Do you sell them? Do you have a URL to where they are listed? Brand name? If they aren't too expensive, I'd like a pair for a Teac X-2000R deck.

These adapters are made by The NAB Shop (www.nab-shop.com) but their website does not show any of this type currently available. They seem to produce additional lots if there are enough orders to justify making a production run so you may want to contact them if you are interested in purchasing a pair.

Hi, I might have missed one,but Im looking for the ones that just twist click such as the teac 612. those are out there but everybody thinks they are gold and want up to 60 bucks a piece for them. Are there any similiar? Somebody told me the Pioneer 220 (not A) is that type that stays on the machine but I dont thinkso

Hi, I might have missed one,but Im looking for the ones that just twist click such as the teac 612. those are out there but everybody thinks they are gold and want up to 60 bucks a piece for them. Are there any similiar? Somebody told me the Pioneer 220 (not A) is that type that stays on the machine but I dont thinkso

Pioneer PP-220 has no adjustability (unless you consider wrapping electrical tape around it`s circumference "an adjustment" :)
Revox (my favorite) are good, but expensive. Try to find some Otaris (marked "KWOHV" on the rear surface), they are well-made, solid, and hold the reels securely.

Ones that don't suck cost 60 the pair or so. The Teacs are available new at times and cost about 65 from TEAC so that 60 bucks for a pair is about right but that 60 per is high. I bought a deck because it had a set of the teac TZ-612s on it. Cost 50 bucks. So saved 10 in the NAB adapters and got a Teac deck thrown in.

There is nothing out there that stays attached to the machine when changing tapes and works well for less than 60 a pair and it is going up as tape comes back, following records and preceding cassettes which are now in Urban Outfitters stores.

On my old TEAC's I s l o w l y heated the tabs and GENTLY bent to tabs out slightly. Worked fine..

Back
Top Bottom