NAD 1020A vs. Sanyo C55 Plus preamps

welchie

Hello,
I have both of these preamps and they are great but I have to let one go to fund another acquisition. Any thoughts, experience, or opinions? Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20171121_100903.jpg
    IMG_20171121_100903.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20171121_100807.jpg
    IMG_20171121_100807.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 112
I've never owned an NAD preamp, but I do have a C55+ and I can all but promise you that I'll be buried with it. Simple, reliable, great quiet phono stage. The NAD must be pretty good if you feel they are in the same league. I too am interested in others' opinions.

I have experience with the 1020. If you will replace all the electrolytics you will be amazed at the performance.

Cool. Thanks. I've used the NAD paired with the BGW 50A professional amp. Amazing sound. I may just hang on to them. I live in Tampa and between Tampa, Clearwater and especially St. Pete we've got a tremendous supply of vintage audio gear. I bought a Pioneer sx-636 receiver for $50 off of a guy on offer up. It was missing a knob and the left channel. He referred me to Audio Rewind and More over in Largo. Tim, the owner, is going to restore the Pioneer with a new knob, caps, and led lighting for around $125.00. He says the 636 is one of the best sounding vintage pioneers. He's got a nice vintage Sony reel to reel he'll sell me for$100.00. I've never listened to reel to reel. He says they're great...better than CD. He and I agreed the Sony reel to reel and Pioneer 636 would make a helluva nice sounding setup. Who knows...but its a fun fun hobby.

I had a conversation with two of the audio gear players down here. We all agree that we're blessed to be in this area as the retiree community has brought all their audio gear and albums down here with them. Many have passed on and their stuff winds up on the market through estate sales and such. They both told me that they picked up record collections on the cheap that sold for thousands. One was a beatles collection and one was a punk rock. Amazing.

Coincidentally, I am listening right now to my "new to me" Sanyo C55 and am really digging it! I am quite disappointed it does not have a headphone jack though, as I listen to can about half the time. But I guess Sanyo was going for purity, less is more.

Now I do also have a Leesonic recapped and upgraded NAD 3020 integrated amp as well. I have not listened to them side by side. I *love* my 3020, though I can tell you my experience is that the NAD is a bit towards the "darker" sound. If you like bright, then my 3020 may not be for you. But then again, my Leesonic 3020 is not just any 3020.

But which one do YOU prefer? Are you asking for our input on things like, long-term reliability or resale value? What else besides what your own ears are telling you do you want to know?

Also, WELCOME TO AK!!! :)

I like both. The Sanyo is running with a Hafler DH-200 amplifier. I have my Technics DL-23 turntable and Sony DVP-NS500V hooked in. That's my main system. It sounds amazing. I've replaced the NAD with an NEC AVD-700 digital sorround processor/preamp in my 2nd bedroom system. I bought that from Tim. He advised to run it in Dolby Surround bringing the delay to zero. This would produce a nice "quad" sound as I'm running 4 speakers. It sounds incredible. So I'm starting to own some really great pieces. I need another room to set up a system, LOL. It's all good.

I'm running an AB Systems Precedent Series 900 (300 watts per) amp in the 2nd systems. Excellent headroom and rich, impactful sound.

That main system of yours is pretty sweet. I had both the Sanyo pre amp and that Sony player. If you like the Sony step up to one of their better players such as a DVP-3100ES. Can be had for cheap and is MUCH better with CD and SACD than the NS500V.

I didn't know that Sanyo made any gear worth considering - that unit looks great. I haven't seen this before but perhaps they are more common in the US? If they aren't that common, then the novelty value would be one consideration to lean more heavily towards this unit. NADs are everywhere.

One consideration: if you change your mind it might de much easier to find another 1020A or 3020A than a C series Sanyo. Had the stack at one point, very nice stuff. The power amp is really impressive.

Having had both of them I'll also go with the majority and recommend the C55 Plus. Great sounding little pre and it also does not have bleed through like the 1020 does. I could never warm to my 1020 mainly because of that reason. The little Sanyo though seemed to do everything right and sounded nice to..

Bleed thru could be from the glue holding the cables down to the PCB. It gets conductive in it's old age. Caught a video in which removal of the glue removed the bleed thru. Just my .02. The leesonic treatments are great revisions for almost any pre/amp.

If you dispense with the NAD you may find yourself kind of craving the NAD sound again. Or not.

I did after having bought and sold three 3020's, two 1020's a Monitor 1000 and several CD players. For lack of a better term, NAD has a "satisfying" sound and after it's gone, I always seem to want to hear it again.

Something I could not get quite comfortable with was how little there was inside a NAD pre-amp. But, there is something to be said about the "less is best" approach.

Can only speak for myself but the majority of Japanese designed amplification irritated me somehow. There is certainly nothing wrong with the build quality but they way I looked at it, it was Japanese gear dictated by the Japanese taste and that to me meant "bright". I can (or could) only do bright for so long.

I was NAD-less until a year ago after disposing of what I had then acquiring a couple of mainstream Japanese pre's based on phono section accolades. They were good and certainly not lacking in what could be called detail but I soon tired of them and sent them on their way.

I was not without other pre-amps but decided to acquire and retain a NAD again which I did - another Monitor 1000. Since I seem to be drawn to NAD pre's and they're not that expensive it made sense that I should have one around.

One thing about a 1020 (or a Monitor 1000 for that matter) - it does not have a stepped volume control. That can be beneficial depending on how much power there's on tap.

Last edited:
Bleed thru could be from the glue holding the cables down to the PCB. It gets conductive in it's old age. Caught a video in which removal of the glue removed the bleed thru. Just my .02. The leesonic treatments are great revisions for almost any pre/amp.
Oh no doubt it could've benefited from some some attention as would any 35 year old unit. In my case I just couldn't see the economics of sinking any resources into a pre that retailed for a mere 2 bills in the early 80's.

Of those two I'd almost certainly keep the Sanyo C55+ as well. JMO

Dont get me wrong I have plenty of love for NAD as well,but I much prefer my 106 preamps (own 2 now) to the earlier units.
The NAD 106 are big time sleepers,I mean how often can one find a sweet sounding preamp w/XLR outs for $100-$200 ?
The 106 was a later variant of the Monitor series 1000 preamp,between the 1000 & 106 was the 1000s,which also had XLR outs.
And a big positive for me is both the Sanyo C55+ and the NAD 106 can be rack mounted (FWIW I'm gonzo for rack mount gear,LOL).

I also have a NAD Monitor series stack as well (1300 pre / 2600 amp / 4300 tuner) as well as a 3140/2140 rig for my workbench system.
(all w/rack mounts of course...)

But the C55+ is a really sweet preamp for sure,and I really dig it's 1ru form factor.
They (Sanyo) sure packed a lotta goodness into that compact chassis.
When every rack space counts,that C55+ is definitely the unit to have on hand.

If I ever run across another nice C55+ within my price range I'll probably grab it just to have a back-up (IMHO they're THAT good).

But I digress for now...

Bret P.

Back
Top Bottom