NAD 1155 / 2200 Upgrades

Spenser

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just got a NAD 1155 and NAD 2200. First experience with these models. Was expecting great things.

Instead what I've got here is weak and poor extension low end and just plain blah up high. My NAD 3080 puts this pair to shame. (...and 3080's only had six caps updated.)

What's going on here?!?!

Do these guys need a recap right of the gate to sound any good at all??

Opened up the1155. Looks all original. Sanyo electrolytic capacitors.

Let me know what you think.NAD 1155 - 2200.jpg NAD 1155.jpg NAD 1155 2.jpg

Last edited:
Its likely this needs a recap - these caps will be approx 40 years old by now.

its a good idea to get some views on gear before you buy it if you can. It seems however that the preamp at least is pretty well regarded for sound quality:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/nad-1155-preamp.215927/

The power amp also seems to have favourable reviews on Google.

You may want to run each unit separately thru other gear that you have to see if the problem is common to both, or just confined to one.

Yo Slimecity. NOW you tell me! (ha-just kidding).

Yeah the reviews are quite good. Thanks for the linked-thread!

I think you are right. Old ecaps. Wanted to see what others thought. Maybe someone's had one of these really come alive.

That's an excellent idea on testing separately with other gear. Thank you.

I've owned both those models in the past, when they were new (newish) and found them to have very good SQ - a bit on the warm side.

OK that's good here're the short tally...

A: Good Performers (just needing a little love). Votes: 8 (the six herein plus me and one other)
B. Poor Performers. Votes: 0

I will report back but it is going to be a goodly while.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I have the NAD 1155, and two NAD PE-2200 power amps that I run mono...fantastic setup. I run these amps in a rotation with other solid state and tube amps, but I will say that they sound very good, one of my favorite setups.

The 2200 was one of the better budget grey NAD's. Far better than the 2400/2600/2700 amps but not as good as the old New Acoustic Dimension stuff. Maybe turning off Soft Clipping will make a difference.

I just finished recapping an 1155 about 2 months ago. I purchased the 1155 based on a number of threads referring to the cheap components using by NAD in the manufacturing, but that the design was very good. The improvement is amazing. I used Elna Silmic II's though out and did a little mod on the RIAA circuit per Leestereo. I am in the planning stages of recapping my 2600. Can't wait to see how much that improves.

I've always liked NAD power amps, both separate and within their integrated amps. Very advanced designs and a very open sound. The specifications always seem to be pessimistic against what the amps themselves are capable of. I have found that the NAD signature sound tends to come from their preamps. There are some strange designs in there, but they normally have very good power supply circuits.

The 1155 recap should a huge improvement. I ended up getting rid of my Vincent phono preamp cuz the 1155 phono section sounded so much better.

a little mod on the RIAA circuit

I looked up the modification you referenced; saw that it is posted in your NAD 1155 thread. Complete with photograph of the Kemet polypropylene caps in-place. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Last edited:
Get a 4155 to finish out that nice stack, after the 1155 rejuvenation

I'm all over it

Listening to one right this minute through an all-original 3150 integrated. I also acquired a 4150 (will eventually try your blind test), and I got me a 4300 (which also is extraordinary -- and has a tuning knob).

I don't know what happened. Long story. I have issues.

I looked up the modification you referenced; saw that it is posted in your NAD 1155 thread. Complete with photograph of the Kemet polypropylene caps in-place. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Here's a photo of the mods. I replaced C114 and C164 with .01uf, C115 and C165 with .033uf, C116 and C166 with .0015uf, and R122, R172 with 93.1K 1/8w resistor.DSCN5109[1].JPG

Leestereo's associated phono section numbers for those who could be interested. Asking foregiveness if overstepping.

Nad 1155 riaa.jpg

Back
Top Bottom