NAD 2200 help

It just so happens I spoke with the same company you mention above, today, I was only interested in what Buffer IC (OP Amp) they upgraded to. I was told it's a OPA2134. I ordered a couple of them because they are cheap, but i also ordered a couple other ones that seem to come more highly recommended among the freaks of the industry ;) Since they more or less just drop in, I'm going to try all 4 types I ordered and see what suits my taste, room and speakers.

Last edited:
It just so happens I spoke with the same company you mention above, today, I was only interested in what Buffer IC (OP Amp) they upgraded to. I was told it's a OPA2134. I ordered a couple of them because they are cheap, but i also ordered a couple other ones that seem to come more highly recommended among the freaks of the industry ;) Since they more or less just drop in, I'm going to try all 4 types I ordered and see what suits my taste, room and speakers.

Id be interested in your final results with the OP Amps. Any word on the power supply "modiication"? I'm going to snoop around inside one my 2200pe this weekend. Ill do the grunt work of cleaning contacts switches connectors etc, reflowing solder joints and see if that resolves my low volume "punch through" issues before moving on to replacing relays etc.

No, I don't have any info yet on the power supply mod. I will post here if I get any info on that. I should be able to test the Op-Amp's next week sometime, as soon as they arrive. I will be sure to give my un-professional opinion :)

Another common manifestation of the relay issue - when you jiggle the volume up, you are 'arcing' through the crap on the relay contacts.

I do this occaisionally with my 20+ year old Parasound HCA 500...ch will begin to drop, I then turn up volume to "punch through" the oxidation crap on relays (they were replaced professionally 2 years ago, so plm is only occaisional)...this works

I am assuming the NAD relays cannot be cleanerd ?

Not on the 2000 series at least, they are sealed.

I take this back, I am sure I read somewhere that the 2000 series amp's all have sealed switches, however most assuredly my 2700 does not have sealed switches. I de-soldered them last night and cleaned them up lightly with a points file and some contact cleaner.

Looking to know what the final verdict on the G2R-2A-DC24 relays was for the 2200? Did they fit properly once the unused leads are clipped?

Thanks.

Reviving this old thread. I will be performing this on a 2400 amp soon, and will look inside my newly acquired 3400 to see if this is the problem as well.

the 3400 has a "hollow" sound to it. what could be the cause of that?

also, whomever did the opamp upgrade, what were the results?

also, will the DPST relay listed above work?

Thanks!

Don't understand why some of these problems occur. My 2200 is now almost 30 years old and it has been in regular use since I bought it new. I can get the case off the relays with no trouble and they have always been OK. I cleaned the contacts once about 20 years ago but that was not the problem Turned out to be the balance adjustment pot in the differential stage. Long been replaced with a multiturn pot and that stage has been redesigned anyway. As to the op amps, I replaced mine with the OP275 some years ago and that made a real difference.

Bryan

Reviving a dead thread, yet again.

My newly acquired NAD 2200 is having the same issues described earlier: right channel has static/cuts out or is silent on initial start, then punches through with increased volume and then plays fine. I've tried to clean the speaker relays, which seemed to have helped for a bit, but the problem came back.

Questions:

If I switch the left and right inputs, the right channel works and the left doesn't. What does that mean?

Did using the DPST switch (Mouser 653-G2R-2A-DC24) work?

Can someone post a picture of the balance adjustment pot and describe how to clean it?

Just to close the loop, I had some time to investigate the NAD 2200. I removed the right speaker relay and gave it a good cleaning, using a thin strip of stiff paper with electronic contact cleaner. There are wires over the right speaker relay, which makes cleaning it tough while on the board.

Also reflowed the RCA terminal solder connections.

After doing that, no more intermittent sound or static! Both speakers work right from the start and no need to turn up the volume to punch through.

And just to close the loop some more, I just replaced the speaker relays on my new NAD 2400 with the DPST switch:

Mouser Part #: 653-G2R-2A-DC24
Manufacturer Part #: G2R-2A-DC24

No need to snip anything, it's an exact fit and seems to be working just fine.

I can see why the DPDT switch was used, though, it looks almost exactly like the NAD switch being replaced. The DPST switch is clear, so you can see the relays engaging.

Last edited:
And just to close the loop some more, I just replaced the speaker relays on my new NAD 2400 with the DPST switch:

Mouser Part #: 653-G2R-2A-DC24
Manufacturer Part #: G2R-2A-DC24

No need to snip anything, it's an exact fit and seems to be working just fine.

I can see why the DPDT switch was used, though, it looks almost exactly like the NAD switch being replaced. The DPST switch is clear, so you can see the relays engaging.

I need to replace the relays on my NAD 2200PE but none look like an exact fit. My relays look like his in this video but the replacement he chose necessitated widening one of the holes on the PCB. Why couldn't one just use a dremel and lightly grind the pin down to size?

Hi- I have upgraded about 20 of these, and have put some of the details on my blog at www.quirkaudio.com - I use a drill with a small bit to expand the holes for the relay- a drill with a variable speed is good-it works well.

There is also a description of a set of mods that may appeal

Regards

Peter

Hi- I have upgraded about 20 of these, and have put some of the details on my blog at www.quirkaudio.com - I use a drill with a small bit to expand the holes for the relay- a drill with a variable speed is good-it works well.

There is also a description of a set of mods that may appeal

Thanks for your input. So there is no way around drilling the holes?

Last edited:
the hole drilling is relatively simple, just take care and set the drill bit in the existing holes- there are only twp per relay you need to expand- I would guess a very file file would work as well

Back
Top Bottom