NAD 3150 versus Music Hall 15.3 (Integrated Amps)

TedNeu

OK, guys I'm a bit perplexed here.

I bought this 1982 model NAD last year from a nice local guy here on AK. Really great sound! Full-bodied and rich, especially now that I have upgraded a few other aspects of my system.

I also bought an almost new Music Hall amp here for a good price. Clean sound, big enough when you crank it up towards 12 Noon on the volume, and a great very neat design.

But the Music Hall just doesn't crank the way the NAD cranks. The NAD is effortless in powering my various monitor speakers, even with the volume up only a notch or two. And I think I'm enjoying the sound more. Possibly not quite as clean, but I find the overall effect to be richer.

With the Music Hall I think I need a powered sub. With the NAD, probably not necessary.

They are both 50wpc, simple 2 channel amps. What's up? I almost feel like I should look for the "low level" button hidden on the Music Hall and turn it off.

NAD amplifier specs are renown for being pessimistic. They normally have a much higher peak output than their specifications would suggest.

Back
Top Bottom