NAD 5300 CDP drawer belt?

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by Edison, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Edison

Edison New Member

Thanks to all the help here, I've been adding to my NAD stack with my 7400 as the base.

I came across an NAD 5300 CD player and cleaned & lubed it and it stopped skipping. Sweet sounding! And most important to me---works with my system remote!

But then, not too surprising for the age, the drawer failed to open close. I saw the belt when I was in there but I can't find a specification. Service manual only lists P/N A81G070.

Might anybody have a specification for that belt, or experience with what worked for a replacement?

NAD 5300 CD Mech arrowed IMG_2629.jpg Any hints on installing that belt? (Looks kind of 'deep' in a stack of gears.)

Oddly, I did find a search result listing that same P/N for an Emerson CD165 CDP (which *might* be similar to an Emerson CD175R?) Anyone have the service manuals for those? If so, do they look like the CD transport mechanism of the NAD 5300?

TYIA!

NAD 5300 CD Mech arrowed IMG_2629.jpg

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Electone

Electone Well-Known Member

Pull off the old belt and just match up something close - it does not have to be exact.. Some people have luck boiling the belts in a cup of water in the microwave.

3. Edison

Edison New Member

Thank you! I was wondering what “fudge-factor” to use in such a case. I think it’s probably stretched but would .95x be too small? I’d aim for thickness best match, guessing grip surface area would be important, too, correct? (I’ll start searching along those topics...)
    Thanks again, Electone!

4. Edison

Edison New Member

I'm going to follow Electone's advice, but...
    Might anybody have have some insight if I thought the CD transport mechanism in my NAD 5300 looked a lot like that of what I've seen in the Nakamichi OMS 1?