NAD 533 Turntable

Pat S.

The NAD 533 turntable is manufactured in England by Rega for NAD. It is basically a P2 with a grey (rather than black) plinth. The 533's platter is made of MDF and appears to be slightly different from the HDF platter on the current P2's (Planar 2's no longer have glass platters). The tone arm is a RB250 with a NAD (rather than Rega) name badge. The 533's motor suspension is supposed to be slightly different from the P2's as well. The 533 comes with a factory-mounted Goldring Electra cartridge. I've seen this 'table go for as little as $375 brand new.

Like the Rega P2, The 533 is basically a plank of wood with a high-quality tone arm and motor attached. Its the turntable equivalent of the Volkswagen Beetle (the original Beetle, that is); stark but functional, inexpensive but not "cheap".

The Goldring Electra is a decent cartridge for the money and a nice bonus. However, the 533 only reveals its real potential when you install a higher quality cart on it. With a Shure V15 VxMR installed, the 533 really comes to life. My 533 has a slightly warmer sound compared to the Planar 2's I have heard. This is probably due to the fact that the Planar 2's that I heard were equipped with glass platters and different cartridges. Also, they were part of different systems (so much for objectivity!). The V15 seems to do a good job of taming the high frequences without degrading the 533's rhythm, detail and dynamic presentation (traditional Rega strong points). It is also a very quiet turntable. Does it sound as good as a Linn Sondek, VPI, or Rega P9? Hell No! Does it sound good for its price? You bet! In fact, I consider it to be a steal! Basically, its an inexpensive turntable that sounds expensive. It BLOWS AWAY my old Techniques SL-5200 DD turntable.

Weaknesses: The RB250's interconnects are pretty damn cheap and there is no VTA adjustment. However, you can buy spacers or a VTA adjuster for it. Also, the 533 could have better low frequency extension. But for the $, you really can't go wrong.

Highly recommended for those who can't or don't want to spend alot for a quality turntable.

Regards,
Pat

Back
Top Bottom