Nad 705 repair

How do the Warfedale speakers sound? I have a pair of Mission 737R's. Had to replace the caps, (high ESR) brought back the tweeters.

At least the other car gets done in august. Have a break to pay off the bill. Now that the 705 is working are you going to get the other one repaired?

That's good, I only own my bike so I generally only have to worry about it, being able to fix it myself also helps save a little dough. I'm not sure, it's nice to have spare parts, transformer, heatsinks, potentiometers and all the components I could ever need to keep the other going. I'll have to think about it.

How do the Warfedale speakers sound? I have a pair of Mission 737R's. Had to replace the caps, (high ESR) brought back the tweeters.

My Wharfedales? Best speakers I've had so far, re-capped mine last year and they sound amazingly good for being vinyl covered 80's speakers with arguably chinsey looking plastic (except for the tweeter that has a metal ring.) silver surrounds around the drivers.

I recapped the speakers with film caps. Both Ecaps were shot. 2 different caps were used. Bennic in one. Alcaps in the other I think. Neither one was in tolerance for it's value.

I recapped the speakers with film caps. Both Ecaps were shot. 2 different caps were used. Bennic in one. Alcaps in the other I think. Neither one was in tolerance for it's value.

I used alcap electrolytics in mine, makes me wonder if I should replace mine with film caps. I think my Wharfedales are a little to large for my room having 10" woofers and all, but man do they sound good. I had a pair of Trio S-120's and on paper they should have blown me away with what I was expecting, horn tweeters, 4" high/mid, 7" mid, 12" woofer all alnico, but I found they sounded really harsh and like they had too much mid range with no bass, even after re-capping. Quite the bummer.

Maybe with the Trio's too many speakers covering the same frequencies. The Warfedale's got the coverage right for the drivers and the crossover frequencies.

Maybe with the Trio's too many speakers covering the same frequencies. The Warfedale's got the coverage right for the drivers and the crossover frequencies.

Could be, the crossover was suprisingly complex in the Trio's They even had and attenuation switch which ragned from screechy squawk to muffled squawk...

Nudies:

PAKqlU9.jpg

PVoK69y.jpg

FRO4Zvj.jpg

Feels nice to have it all back together 100% now. I pulled the face plate off to clean it and re-soldered the front panel PCB to mitigate any future problems, replaced all the zip ties in the factory positions and now she's all back together and lookin' perty.

imS4TWs.jpg

IZC7qfJ.jpg

Oh and these things are worth their weight in gold, way better than a soggy old sponge for cleaning your soldering iron tip.

3BbEtKe.jpg

Yes they are. The Nad looks great.

And it sounds even better than it looks. I have a question, is it normal that it makes a Thump kinda noise thru the speakers when first connected to AC? Kinda like when you first power up a cap coupled amp. The other one did this too.

Yes they did that. Keep the volume down at startup.

I love how quirky Nad's are, thanks for the advice. I think I might experiment with putting some resistors or maybe trimmers in series with the lamps to see if I can reduce the brightness a bit to try and make the bloom a little less noticeable.

I believe the Yamaha CR **20 series receivers had solder issues on the bigger components. I can attest to the sound for sure! For those brief 5 minutes a NAD is working it's amazing! :p In all seriousness this NAD has really grown on me, I wonder what it is that makes some amplifiers sound better than others, that thing that makes drums, cymbals and other things the upper mid - treble ranges sound so defined and clear, and the spacious seperation. I can tell why NADs have such a following. It's by far the best amplification device I've owned yet.

Their amps really grew on me as well. I had a 3240 that I got in college and still have. It still sounds special today, even though I've added other NAD amps to the mix.

Thanks for this thread - following in case I ever get far enough in my technical abilities to do something similar!

Back
Top Bottom