Nad 705 repair

The amp pulls too much current (bright bulb). Goes into protection. Shuts down. Bulb goes dark.

Time to get some sleep. good night Eastham.

After finding no bad or obviously shorted parts I decided to throw the positive side output transistor in. All voltages are back to normal and the amp came out of protection! Looks like I just need the 2SC3519.

Decided to make my own LED conversion using some left over Fuse style LED lamps I had from old projects.

DSC_0910.JPG

Removed the little end caps by heating them up with my soldering iron to melt the solder, then attached some leads I snipped off some capacitor.

DSC_0915.JPG

Don't look to bad installed.

DSC_0912.JPG

Very nice. I may cut open an old LCD screen for it's diffuser try and make the dispersion more even. What you see in the picture is exactly how it looks in real life. The incandescents used to give off a slightly green tinge, now it's a perfect blue with perfect white charecters.

Looks really good, Glad putting in the + side transistor worked. Now just to get that last part in. Hope that takes care of it.

Looks really good, Glad putting in the + side transistor worked. Now just to get that last part in. Hope that takes care of it.

Yup, hopefully I won't run into any oscillation issues. Modern transistors seem to be better matched than older ones so I think I'll get away with it, if not I'll just order a matched pair. Just got my tracking number for the other 705. Looks like it'll be here by the end of the week. Can't wait to get it, then I'll be able to play with my nads at the same time! :rolleyes:

Great. Get this one running right, then tackle the other.

The other one was listed as used but after reading the listing I noticed the seller said the tuner just tunes static. So I guess I'll have a little tinkering to do with that one aswell.

You will make sure after you get it. With antenna connected. Did hear some Nad tuners don't like to be shipped. They slip out of alignment.

You will make sure after you get it. With antenna connected. Did hear some Nad tuners don't like to be shipped. They slip out of alignment.

That and sometimes people like to screw the adjustment screws all the way in... I got my 75ohm antenna in the attic to test it with.

New fuses arrived today and as a matter of luck I was looking through my parts tub the other day and found a 2SA1386A with a matching 2SC3519A I bought for an old TEAC amp I was going to repair, So I've just popped them in and powered it up on my DBT, all was great, bulb was dim, set the idle current, flicked the switch I have on my DBT that bypasses the bulb annnnnnnd POP, BZZZZZT, FLASH, two blown fuses and a blown 2SA1386A. I never believed in luck before but now I'm starting to believe that either me or this amp is cursed or that I'm just a tool... Found the point of failure to be the emitter resistor R143 touching R151... I still have the original 1386A, I'll pop that in later and try to find the cause of this 7v DC offset. For now I'm gonna listen to some up beat tunes while I drown my sorrow in cheap wine and self pity... Only without the wine part...

Last edited:
What terrible news. Resistors touching is not what anyone looks for. Well hope you can get it back right, without too much trouble.

What terrible news. Resistors touching is not what anyone looks for. Well hope you can get it back right, without too much trouble.

Indeed, I got the 2SA1386A in last night still seem to have 7v on the emitters. I would have been working on it tonight but I got caught up watching the blues brothers... My other 705 should be here tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom