NAD 7140 Stereo Receiver

darklife

Modulating Madness
Curious of opinions on this one.

CdvP1ga.jpg

Got this in trade for cleaning out a friends laptop that had beer spilled into it and I do love its sound so far. It seems to have a bit of punch but the phono stage may need a filter cap replacement as it hums slightly. I use an outboard phono preamp anyways.

Pretty much got it in minty condition, few scratches but nothing I can't live with. Controls were scratchy but some deoxit cleaned them right up.
Receiver in this is probably one of the best I have used in some time for reception and rejection but lacks a lot of features. The greenish/yellow blue display is odd in that I swear a foot away it looks like it's green/yellow, but at a far distance it looks blueish. I bet cameras can't reproduce the color right. It looks old school oscilloscopeish at night, the photo doesn't do it justice at all.

No frills stereo on the outside, but on the inside I am impressed. I repair stereo systems so to see this thing opened up was a little of a head scratcher as to why it was so well built inside but so dull and unimpressive looking on the outside, but the sound says it all.
This is going to take the permanent place of my Sherwood S-9200CP as it has more power reserve (up to 3db over 40 watts RMS at 4-8ohm) and a much better tuner section. Oddly both of these stereos came out around the same time and were on the hifireview site as good priced systems for what you got back then but this one was the real star of them all even as fugly as it is.... it's growing on me I suppose :p

So anyone else own one? Opinions, issues?

I had to replace a 1/10th of an amp fuse upon getting it. The fuse had a 0.22Ohm resistor inside of the fuse with a hair sized wire springed to quick blow! I just soldered on a 0.22ohm resistor across the blown fuse itself for now and popped it back in and works fine. Probably vibrated itself loose internally causing both AM and FM reception to be only static. After doing that it picks up all stations wonderfully.

You may want to try recapping this one, you might find that the phono stage sounds better than the phono preamp you are currently using.

Lee.

I am asking someone about this same model that doesn't have any sound when powered on. Here are the questions (below) I asked so far. Is there anything else I should ask the seller?

Are there any protection lights that turn on? Do both sets of speakers (A-B) not work then?

Picked one last year, gave it to my son to go with his L26's very nice combo, good sounding receiver.

I fixed a 7240pe last year with the bad dual volume/balance pot. What a pain to fix but it had lots of power and sounded good with vinyl.

I have a 7140 that I use in my second home over in Western Colorado. It's a nice sounding and very musical receiver. The phono stage on mine is outstanding, so as LeeSonic said - maybe recap it - as the phono stage is better than you might imagine that it should be.

I like my 7130 but needed a little more low end oomph so I'm running it as a pre through an Adcom 545. Great FM. I can't speak to the phono section as I run my TT through a different system.

I like this piece so much I've owned it 3 different times.

I fixed a 7240pe last year with the bad dual volume/balance pot. What a pain to fix but it had lots of power and sounded good with vinyl.

I have a issue with the volume and balance pot on my 7240pe. How did you go about fixing yours? Did you find a replacement part?

A coworker was able to get it fixed by taking the pot out, disassembled the part and soaked it overnight in alcohol to get all the contacts clean. It was a chore to take apart but it’s been working great. Good luck.

A coworker was able to get it fixed by taking the pot out, disassembled the part and soaked it overnight in alcohol to get all the contacts clean. It was a chore to take apart but it’s been working great. Good luck.
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. How hard is it to get it back together again? What kind of alcohol did you use? Did you use isopropyl alcohol?

I think it was a YouTube video or someone's blog that I watched to take it apart, just go slow and take pics. Isopropyl alcohol did the trick. I guess you tried spraying it heavily w deoxit?
This volume pot is used in a few of these NAD models so maybe a donor might be an option if you can't get yours working.

Last edited:
I think was a YouTube video that I watched to take it apart, just go slow and take pics. Isopropyl alcohol did the trick. I guess you tried spraying it heavily w deoxit?
Yes I have. Though I should try spraying it with deoxit one more time, before I try using isopropyl alcohol. I'll keep you posted.....

I had the 7150. Fantastic, ballsy receiver. I wish I still owned it. It was actually the prototype for that model, my dad was friends with the designing engineer at NAD. I’ve considered getting another for a separate system.

Yes I have. Though I should try spraying it with deoxit one more time, before I try using isopropyl alcohol. I'll keep you posted.....
Another thing I thought of, I have old guitar volume and tones pots I could practice taking apart.

I had the 7150. Fantastic, ballsy receiver. I wish I still owned it. It was actually the prototype for that model, my dad was friends with the designing engineer at NAD. I’ve considered getting another for a separate system.
So the 7150 isn't a power envelope. The 7240pe is a power envelope....thus the "pe" designation. Even though the 7150 is rated 60watts per side, which is more powerful?

Although it wasn’t a PE, it was a “dynamic power on demand” model. If I recall, it was rated at 100 wpc. Either way, it had a dual transformer power supply, 3 in total. I used it to drive 2 sets of power absorber speakers to ridiculous levels that would have probably destroyed a lesser amplifier section.

Although it wasn’t a PE, it was a “dynamic power on demand” model. If I recall, it was rated at 100 wpc. Either way, it had a dual transformer power supply, 3 in total. I used it to drive 2 sets of power absorber speakers to ridiculous levels that would have probably destroyed a lesser amplifier section.

I picked up a 7150 based on some comments on the board a while back and was really surprised at just how powerful and clean it was (running it through some 4 ohm speakers). Love the phono preamp performance as well. Liked it so much I picked up a second one (preamp isn't working on that one, but it's a great amp). Haven't experimented with bridging them (and given the age and lack of need for that much power, I probably won't).

Originally thought I'd use it for a dining room setup or something like that, but it's more powerful than I expected by quite a bit.

I have a NAD 7100 receiver and it sounds great thru some Polks that I have. And the phono stage is very good as well. I mean, it's not as good as the Graham Slee I had, but very presentable.
It looks great as well, and the black buttons on the grey front make it easy to operate. I have a full-function remote for it also. $60 from Ebay.
The receiver section is very sensitive and picks up a lot of stations. Sounds good too.

Back
Top Bottom