NAD and Kenwood cassette decks

mark126

I was at a local thrift today and saw a NAD (grey plastic crap?) cassette deck and a Kenwood with a nice silver front (front plate extends about an inch on each side) and dual VU meters.

$20 each seemed like a lot considering that neither one would move tape. Would you agree, or are these well worth repairing at that price?

I'm sorry I don't have the model numbers. The Kenwood resembled this RX-830 on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=79856&item=5720704864&rd=1

and the NAD looked like this 6300:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4784&item=5721638093&rd=1

They also had another VU-metered deck. A Sanyo, I think.

Is there a short list of desirable cassette decks to keep a lookout for at thrifts, yard sales, etc? How do you usually checkout a deck?

I did receive a free Sears Proformance dual cassette deck a few weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to test it yet. I don't suppose these are actually a name brand rebadged by Sears?

P.S.
My wife would probably appreciate it if no one answers my questions. She doesn't like me bringing "junk" and "crap" home. :rolleyes: :dunno:

I like Akai, Denon, Nakamichi, and Yamaha decks, preferably 3 head. Denons sound nice, but I run into various mechanical issues with them.

If it won't move tape, I'd avoid it unless it was some TOTL or near deck. Belt replacement is a real PITA sometimes and once the belt is out you have to find one the right size. If you find one, it may cost more than the deck.

Good Luck!

three heads?

Thanks. Is the third head for erasing? Where is it usually located?

Also, is it possible to visually tell if the heads are too worn?

Mark

You have to make your own choices, but I dont think that I am going to buy any more cassette decks unless they are Nakamichi or Tandberg.

Kenwood made mostly lousy cassette decks. There was one model, 1060, that had 3 heads and performed well, but it was not solenoid operated, and so has mechanical issues.
A friend found an NAD deck in the garbage. It is made simalr to the lesser Nakamichi decks, BX125, BX1,BX2...
It had a bad idler wheel which was easy to replace and I replaced the belt which was also easy. when done, it performed very well, shockingly so! Offer $5 since it doesn't work.
You can get idler tires and belts at www.mcmelectronics.com

Re: three heads?

Originally posted by mark126
Thanks. Is the third head for erasing? Where is it usually located?

Also, is it possible to visually tell if the heads are too worn?

Mark

Most decks are two heads with a distinct erase head followed by the bigger, silver record and playback head. A three head deck uses distinct heads/gaps for recording and playback, but they are often housed in the same shell. If you look into the well, you'll usually see a head with two gaps/bumps, sort of like a "B" on it's side; that's a 3 head deck.

Most manufacturers wil have it blazed on the side somewhere too, as it is a distinct upgrade sonically over most two head decks. I've alway been told that the optimal gap for playback isn't the same as for recording, so the combo heads in two head decks have to make concessions somewhere.

Worn heads often will show as flat shiny spots where the tape tracks, sometimes you can even catch a fingernail on them.

BTW, check out used tapes too. I usually pick up Maxell UDXLs, TDK SAs and metal tapes when I find them, especially if they are like 4/$1. You can always record over them, and sometimes you find some nice compilations/mixes.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by Don C
You have to make your own choices, but I dont think that I am going to buy any more cassette decks unless they are Nakamichi or Tandberg.
Agreed! I've had my best luck with the Nakamichi brand (others from Tascam, Denon, harman/kardon, Technics, and Pioneer...not so good; all had transport failure in one form or another).

Nakamichi 582

Happened upon a Nakamichi 582 for $20. Didn't test it. I thought I would see what I could find out about it first, and if it is gone when I go back, so be it.

We have a few cassettes and no player other than the one built into a mid-90s Aiwa shelf system with boomy bass. Oh, and the untested Sears Proformance deck I was given a few weeks ago.

Thoughts on the value of a 582 at that price (both working and broken)?

Mark

NAK
CASS, 582

Description:

Manufacture Years: 1979 - 1981

Retail
MSRP: $900.00
USED: $160.00
Wholesale
Mint: $90.00
Average: $55.00

If it moves tape, it could be a nice find for $20

The 582 is a 3 head deck, very nice sound. Basically the same transport as a Nak 480. Has an idler wheel that likes to go bad, still available from Nakamichi. built in calibration oscillator, closed loop dual capstan, front panel bias adjust and record cal. Very nice deck.

Sometimes it is only the mechanical digit counter that is a little gummed up that prevents a machine from moving tape. especially if the machine goes into the play mode and immediately goes to auto-stop.

For $20 I would've rolled the dice on that Nak for sure.

TA

Back
Top Bottom