NAD C-356BEE- Ohhhhh...Emmmmm...Geeeeee

Anyone seen a C356BEE up for grabs? This thread and other recent ravings have me very interested, especially when including the phono module.

Anyone seen a C356BEE up for grabs? This thread and other recent ravings have me very interested, especially when including the phono module.

The PP375 module is pretty darn nice, its quiet and very detailed and performs well over its $200 price. Plus being a module it does not take any inputs away, no need for a power plug or extra cables.
I have not used the MC side of it so no opinion there.

Congratulations on the improvement. I wonder if it was more in the preamp or more in power amp side of things.

If your integrated has preamp/amp jumpers it might be interesting to try the NAD as preamp with the Sony as power amp and then the Marantz as preamp with the NAD as power amp to see what sort of improvement happens where.

No loudness switch ?

Sorry, I'm a vintage curmudgeon.

No offense !

Ironic that so many audiophiles get their noses out of joint when they see tone or loudness controls on an amplifier, but then I guess that's to be expected when some still get upset when they see a volume control on an amp :scratch2:

conexiones_amplificador_marantz_pm6005_negro.jpg

We are Marantz - resistance is futile :D

That's a relief...
was not aware that some of those modern amp still carry

the '' old loudness contour '' switch.

Thanks for sharing !

Not very many and virtually no discounts to be found. I tend to believe this is usually good sign when researing for an audio purchase.

Marantz is a bit unusual in that respect - on the down side, they insist on retaining the two-prong plug, even on their reference components. I cant for the life of me think why this is, and I'm not aware of any other serious hi-fi manufacturer who does this.

While I'm not enthralled with this video, there is a potential fix for the two-prong issue and a host of other tips for improving SQ with Marantz gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piPI_ByD0Q0

Congratulations on the improvement. I wonder if it was more in the preamp or more in power amp side of things.

If your integrated has preamp/amp jumpers it might be interesting to try the NAD as preamp with the Sony as power amp and then the Marantz as preamp with the NAD as power amp to see what sort of improvement happens where.
Agreed, this is a worthwhile experiment. The sony is sold though and the sound was similar to the Marantz receiver but cleaner and louder. Most likely from the preamp. The pre out jumpers was another plus for the NAD but so far I find no need for a power upgrade.

That's a relief...
was not aware that some of those modern amp still carry

the '' old loudness contour '' switch.

Thanks for sharing !

The new Yamaha amps have variable loudness, fyi.
Thankfully so far I have no need for any kind of tone adjustment, first time in a long time where my amp, speakers and room all seem perfectly matched.

Agreed, this is a worthwhile experiment. The sony is sold though and the sound was similar to the Marantz receiver but cleaner and louder. Most likely from the preamp. The pre out jumpers was another plus for the NAD but so far I find no need for a power upgrade.

Avanti1960...one inexpensive upgrade you should get is to replace the pre/main jumpers to some better ones, you will notice some improvement after about 100 hours.
The Audio Quest ones are very good, I use these.

1249160204_aaqfps.jpg

Avanti1960...one inexpensive upgrade you should get is to replace the pre/main jumpers to some better ones, you will notice some improvement after about 100 hours.
The Audio Quest ones are very good, I use these.

1249160204_aaqfps.jpg

I have the very same Catcher and it is indeed a good improvement which cost nothing.

The new Yamaha amps have variable loudness, fyi.
Thankfully so far I have no need for any kind of tone adjustment, first time in a long time where my amp, speakers and room all seem perfectly matched.

While it's says '' loudness '' on the Yammie, to my ear, it just tends to drop
the mids to, in some manner, boost the lows and highs.
Like an EQ in attenuation mode.

A real ( no harm meant to Yamaha ) loudness, boosts the lows and highs while retaining the mids at the same level òr so.

But that is out of topic for now...

I have the very same Catcher and it is indeed a good improvement which cost nothing.

Are you guys sure the amp wasn't burning in more?
I have a hard time believing in the value of these jumpers, please no offense.
They are only conducting (2) parts of the circuit for each channel, one of them being chassis ground (outer conductor) which is routed internally on the amplifier's chassis.
The other (the center conductor) has such a short run that it is hard to imagine any decent solid core conductor material would be subjected to any current loss, voltage drop or noise.

That was the only discounted unit i could find.
I would recommend to search for the site's business rating before buying.

5 stars on Amazon; 5 stars on Yelp. Seems top shelf to me. Are you aware of something ugly lurking out there?

5 stars on Amazon; 5 stars on Yelp. Seems top shelf to me. Are you aware of something ugly lurking out there?

I thought I saw an unauthorized dealer warning along with other potential issues but I rechecked and that site no longer lists them with issues.

Back
Top Bottom