NAD C326BEE or Yamaha A-S500 for Bedroom System

MCM_Fan

AK Subscriber
While I have a couple great vintage integrated amps (Sansui AU-717 and NAD 3150) that I've been rotating into my bedroom system, I'd really like to get a modern integrated amp with a remote control.

The two in my price range ($300 - $500) that get consistently high praise are the NAD C326BEE and the Yamaha A-S500. Anyone care to comment on the pro and cons of these two units?

The rest of my bedroom system consists of a Magnum Dynalab FT101A tuner, a Marantz DV6600 SACD/CD player, a pair of Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers and a Definitive Audio ProSub 800 subwoofer. I listen to FM radio a lot (mostly alternative rock), but also enjoy my small, but growing SACD collection (mostly classic/progressive rock). I have a large vinyl collection, but it resides downstairs. So, I don't really see adding a turntable to the upstairs bedroom system.

I've enjoyed the NAD sound in the past with their older units (7120, 7150PE and 3150), but don't really have any experience with the current NAD products. I have very little experience with any Yamaha products. While I've always tolerated the rather ugly duckling looks of the NAD products, the Yamaha is definitely a better match appearance wise for the Dynalab tuner and Marantz SACD player. But, I have an opportunity to get a mint condition C326BEE for $299.00. So, that is influencing my decision as well.

I use the C326BEE and a pair of PSB Imagine Minis that I use in a nearfield desktop system. It's perfect for what you're describing, a great overall amp and I think you'd be very happy with it. At that price, I know I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

Without having heard them side by side I'd have difficult time choosing between them. This leaves specs and features. I've bolded things that would be of interest to me in the decision making process.

Yamaha A-S500:
85 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.019% THD
4-ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
ToP-ART (Total Purity Audio Reproduction Technology) for high-quality sound
signal-to-noise ratio: 100 dB (CD/DVD Direct Amp mode), 88 dB (phono)
6 RCA audio inputs, including MM (moving magnet) phono input
port for YID-W10 and YDS-12 iPod® docks
subwoofer output (NAD has 2)
continuously variable loudness control
Pure Direct mode bypasses balance and tone control circuits for cleaner sound
headphone jack
front-panel switching for 2 pairs of speakers
binding-post speaker connectors

NAD C 326BEE:
50 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.009% THD
50 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.009% THD
4-ohm stable for use with a wide range of speakers
signal-to-noise ratio: 100 dB (Same for both amps)
PowerDrive™ circuit with automatic speaker impedance sensing delivers maximum dynamic power output regardless of speaker load
switchable Soft Clipping™ circuit gently limits amplifier power output to reduce risk of speaker damage due to prolonged high volume operation
distortion-canceling circuit for high-accuracy sound
toroidal power transformer
rotary bass and treble controls with defeat switch for tone control bypass
7 RCA audio inputs including 1 tape in/out
front-panel minijack input for connecting a portable music player
preamp-out/main-in loop for system expansion
2 preamp-level subwoofer outputs (Yamaha has 1)
full-size headphone jack
one pair of speaker binding post terminals
detachable AC power cord

It's always fun to spend someone else's money but my recommendation is go listen to both of them and pick the one YOU like the best.

I've demo the two in the same day side by side, with MA RX6 speakers.
At the time didn't like the Yamaha, sounded to harsh, I still don't know how "What hi fi" mag give it the best buy award.
The NAD sounded much better, smooth and detailed, if it wasn't the Rega Brio R I would have bought the NAD.

interesting, I heard the same set of amps, side by side with smaller Focal speakers, and the Yamaha was the clear winner. Shows not only the difference in tastes, but that the speakers in the test make a difference.

I've had stuff from both brands. IMO, the Yamaha hasn't been built that can be mentioned in the same breath with NAD.

Those Pioneer speakers are not the easiest to drive at 85 dB.
I think the power supply on the NAD is probably better designed overall.

I don't think power in what I assume is a small bedroom is an issue. No sonic experience with either although owned both brands so can't address that issue.

Things I like about the NAD:

Has jumpers between preamp and power amp. You could also use the pre outs to one of the other amps and retain the convenience of remote control.

Toroidal transformer could mean better quality power amp.

2 sub outs probably not needed in a BR system, but may come in handy in other apps.

Things I like about the Yamaha:

2 sets of speakers vs. 1 for NAD
Variable loudness control, something I think should be on every amp.
Higher rated power, though probably not much more than 1 or 2 db louder at full power.

As others mentioned best test is to listen to them side by side. Personally don't hear a lot of difference btwn amps, but others would disagree.

I've had stuff from both brands. IMO, the Yamaha hasn't been built that can be mentioned in the same breath with NAD.

have you heard any Yamaha Integrated from the past, say, 5 years? Because, yes, they can very much be mentioned in the same breath. The only sub-1000 buck integrated that sounded as good(frankly a shade better) was a Music Hall(model not remembered), but I wanted(at the time) tone controls which the Music Hall didn't offer. The NAD seemed to run a bit hot, didn't have as natural a sound quality, and had a sort of bad repair record, to boot. The REGA Brio was nice, but didn't wow me, for whatever reason, at the time. Bottom line, all were nice, none were spectacular(I don't expect spectacular for under $1000), but to say that the Yamaha doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same league is preposterous.

I think a lot of how an integrated amp and or the other components sound can also be a result of room nodes as well; some rooms are brighter or less live than others. Some speakers are polite, some are bright, some are neutral and varying levels in between. There are just a lot of variables in play here, so it is very difficult to judge based on so many different opinions. I once owned a NAD C326BEE. I liked it, but it seemed a little on the soft side in my very well damped listening space so I sold it. If it was in a more live listening space it would probably have been much better to my ears. I think the only way to truly make this decision is to do a home audition of both amps and then decide.

Darn it! You all convinced me to pick up that used/mint condition NAD C326BEE from a local dealer for $299.00. I called as soon as I got home from work last night and it was sold - less than 24 hours after I saw it there on Sunday. Should have just bought it then. I don't think I'll find a better amp - with remote - for $300! Plus, since it was from a dealer, they offered a free check up after a year's worth of use. REALLY wish I would have just snapped it up on Sunday...

Oh well, thanks for all the feedback. At least now I know what to look for, and maybe someone else looking for something similar can benefit from the responses here. For now, until another great deal comes along, I'll just keep using my NAD 3150 while I get the Sansui AU-717 serviced. I really like both amps and would not be in the market for a replacement if one of them had a remote control.

It's always fun to spend someone else's money but my recommendation is go listen to both of them and pick the one YOU like the best.

I need to find a dealer that carries both so I can do a true A/B comparison with the same speakers and same source material.

Heck, that's exactly what I plan to do with my NAD 3150 and Sansui AU-717 as soon as the Sansui is serviced. I like the sound of both amps, but have never done a direct A/B comparison between the two. I look forward to giving it a try.

It would also be fun to directly compare these to vintage amps to the modern alternatives.

So many amps, so little time...

Those Pioneer speakers are not the easiest to drive at 85 dB.
I think the power supply on the NAD is probably better designed overall.

Yeah, the little Pioneers aren't the most efficient, but I've never had any problem driving them to room filling levels with the Sansui TU-717 or NAD 3150.

Back
Top Bottom