NAD C388 Impressions and Questions

trailrunnerx

Hey guys, I'm currently running a Rotel RA-1520 integrated with the digital duties handled by a Chord MoJo and the vinyl routed through a Parasound ZPhono USB. Speakers are JMLab/Focal Electra 926. The Rotel puts out 60wpc and the room is 12x12. I have noticed the NAD C388 and am wondering if it'll be enough of an upgrade to justify the purchase. I'm specifically coming up short on specs and reviews of the onboard DAC (I'd add BluOS later most likely), and phono stage. I have a feeling the DAC won't be as good as the MoJo, and I've read that the amp will digitize incoming analog signals so that is cause for concern. I feel like the amp section would be an upgrade from the Rotel. Does anyone on here have the C388 that can provide any info about your impressions? Do you think it's a suitable replacement for the 1520/MoJo/Parasound all in one box? I'm liking the sound right now but think the Electras could use more juice. Any advice would be appreciated!

So decided to give the C388 a shot as I found it on “the list” for half retail. So far don’t regret my decision, it’s a very muscular amp and really controls the bass of my Electras better than the 60wpc Rotel did. I also think it images better and lends itself to the illusion of a larger sound field. I think when I get these speakers out of the smallish room they are in, I’ll notice it even more. I haven’t a-b the dac or phono sections yet, but the amp alone in this is pretty impressive. I just wish NAD would give more details on the components in the DAC section, guess they don’t figuring most users will grab the BluOS MDC module.

Back
Top Bottom