NAD PreAmp 1155 need advice re ReCapping

cairns4me

Hi guys.... a mate bought a Denon DL 103R..then bought a NAD 1155 PreAmp.
Asked me to service it-so I did a DeOxit Red treatment to all switches, pots etc-all good upon test couple days later.
BUT tested it with his Dl103R cart , then fitted MY DL103R to confirm problem IS DEF' the NAD 1155 (as opposed to being faulty cart) and upper Mid delivery is forward and very "2D" imaging, with reserved highs and lower-mids sounded "very meh" and bass "very meh..."
So I think next step is a recap jobbie-all caps look to be original with about Four being Orange in colour; all others black & rated at 85 degrees...I think I would replace the blacks with 105 degree (reduced leak) variant caps-in interest of doing job ASAP for the Bud' I would prolly source caps from Jaycar.com.au.
BUT should the Orange caps be "audiophile quality" or sumthin'?
I am not an electronics techie by ANY means-my expertise doesn't go much further than soldering & basic use of multimeter. I have the NAD 1155 serv manual-cannot attach on here so IF YOU CAN advise me on this it would be terrific, let me know by Pvt Messg and I will email the Pdf to you. Thank you all so much, cheers guys.....

Hey there.

I would give Jaycar caps a WIDE berth - unless you want to use overpriced "Raysonic" or something brand.

Go to RS Online and get quality Panasonic or Nichicon caps - it will cost less, MUCH MUCH better product and free delivery.

On RS you can also order Nichicon "FG" series caps - these are ideal to replace the existing orange caps - great for audio/the signal path.

Reactions: mbz
Hello cairns4me. Check out this thread. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/nad-1020a-recap.606326/. Leesonic is the man to check out, his Nad rebuilding threads are the word on the subject. Here is another thread. No pics but good ideas If you get the SM from HiFi Engine.com you can follow which parts he upgraded. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...06-preamp-restoration-upgrade-project.550017/. Have a 3140 integrated amp. Gotta put good parts in to get the good sound out with long life. The Nichicon, Wima, Panasonic, Elna are the way to go. Low leakage in the signal path.

Slimecity ( ooey-gooey...) and NAD80 thank you both. I will look into the RS sourcing-the idea of free deliv' sounds kewl too btw...will post progress as I proceed...so thanks again guys-much apprec'n to you both....cheers Laurie in Cairns.

G'day,

I would check out the schematic and see where you can use WIMA films in the signal path, use Nichicon KLs if the value is too high, and KWs everywhere else, except the power supply where PWs would be better. I wouldn't worry about the 85C versus 105C rating, there isn't (or shouldn't) be anything running anywhere near that hot in a preamp like this. There is also an op-amp that you might want to swap out with something better. I think I have an Excel spreadsheet somewhere, send me your email address and I'll send it to you. I'm not too fond of posting cap lists here. Too many people getting paid off of my hard work.

Lee.

Guys...Its been suggested I replace ic jrc5007 in this 1155. I cant find it listed in several ic comparison sites so have NIL idea of a better perform' chip. Could u help me out please? Remember I am no trained techie btw

NAD80..thanks for the ref to those op-amp theory & myths pages-I think...!! I am now more confused than "evva" though...lol.
Guys I have NO IDEA which caps perform whatever role in this circuit. If you read AK member SlimeCity's comment ( comment No.2 ) he said " On RS you can also order Nichicon "FG" series caps - these are ideal to replace the existing orange caps - great for audio/the signal path." and so THAT was really very helpful for me-so thanks again for that Slime :) So that any capacitor experts can see the circuit without hassle I have photo of circuit layout and the list of cap's used- my question as to what BRAND of caps to order has been answered above in comment No.5 by Leesonic who recommended Wima's and mostly Nichicon. But PL's, KW's and KL's in which spots-now THAT'S another aspect I have NO idea about!! But I am slowly learning....
Any help would be enormously appreciated as I would love to get this unit running "as superbly" for my close friend as soon as poss-I am itching to hear his DL103R through it!! Cheers guys...
BTW here's link to "box" file bank thingy for NAD 1155 Service Manual/circuit Diagrams etc- for any members prepared to help me out :) https://app.box.com/s/q7lnpjy7qcy471g3d7fghuvvdwq2h7tb

Last edited:
As you are starting out - lets keep it simple.

Get onto RS (for example) and buy one type of cap to use for all applications except the audio path caps - as above - where you already have orange caps in the amp. So get something like Panasonic FC, FM series, or like Lee says above; Nichicon KW series. Just buy 90% of your caps in the series you pick - the prices vary quite a bit and that can be a factor in purchasing as well.

Then for your audio grade - I recommended Nichicon FG series as they seem to be the only audio grade caps that RS carries. Otherwise you could get Elna Silmics - but I get those imported from Parts Connexion in Canada and there is obviously a shipping cost to that - for Aus & NZ.

On RS you can filter your caps by capacitance, manufacturer, voltage and series.

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, Mouser offer free shipping to AU for orders over USD60- Delivery via UPS is 3 days, maybe 4 for FNQ.
Cap suggestions by leesonic appear good common sense choices, those orange ones should be low leakage types so WIMA or Nichi KL.
Certainly nothing wrong with RS, except they want you to buy 5 rather than 1. Panasonic FC, FM, Nichi FG will certainly do a good job as
per slimecity. Just trying to point out that parts via Mouser/UPS can be had cheaply/quickly.

Slime & MBZ....Thanks HEAPS fellas....enormously helpful input...clarifies the task for me greatly. I'll order as u advised and will let u know IN THIS THREAD how the project progresses. It will be a bit after Christmas before I have more comments to share so I take the opportunity to wish all AK members a fab' Festive Season & a fine & PEACEFUL 2018. (That goes for "Rocket Kim" also-in case Kim Jong is an AK'er too) Cheers all...L.

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, Mouser offer free shipping to AU for orders over USD60- Delivery via UPS is 3 days, maybe 4 for FNQ
Yes - this is true. Plus Element14 do free shipping for orders over $45 or so to NZ.

cairns4me, took a look at the schematic. Wish the SM had a full parts list. The caps which the voltage rating is near or at the voltages listed for those points like C608 22mfd 25vdc cap, 24vdc power supply. Raise the voltage of the replacements to 35vdc. Use 50vdc caps for 32vdc power supply voltage. 6.3vdc caps raise to 15vdc. A lot of the caps ratings are too close to the supply voltages. Penny pinching too far. Will be watching this thread to see how it goes. Have a Nad 3140 to rework. A Nad 1300 to repair (cheap A-- caps) killed power supply. Sorry for the language. Great designs, cheapest caps. Have a wonderful, safe holiday season.

He won't even get remotely close to AUD$60 to get free shipping from mouser for an 1155.

Best to lash out and buy a few other 'toys' from Mouser to get the free Fed-Ex. I use them all the time- quite simply the best service in the world IMO.

Throwing this out as a I wonder if the rest of the 1155 SM is the 1130 SM. With only the added parts in the 1155 SM. The units do look alike with the added separate recording and listening switches looking to be the only functional difference. But I can't find the SM for the 1130. Would love to see before and after pics. And a close up of the op-amps if possible. Found this thread on the 1155 recap.http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/nad-1155-rebuild.399411/

Last edited:
Throwing this out as a I wonder if the rest of the 1155 SM is the 1130 SM. With only the added parts in the 1155 SM. The units do look alike with the added separate recording and listening switches looking to be the only functional difference. But I can't find the SM for the 1130. Would love to see before and after pics. And a close up of the op-amps if possible. Found this thread on the 1155 recap.http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/nad-1155-rebuild.399411/
Bloody Hell ! I had searched my arxe-off for any articles/threads regarding this recapping of the 1155.....

Yes - this is true. Plus Element14 do free shipping for orders over $45 or so to NZ.
Oh-I thought Slime under impression that I lived in NZ myself...with similar lookin' Flags an' awl...but no-I am an Ozzie livin' in Oztraya...I sure don't say I like to eat Frishly Court Fush 'n Chups...lol

cairns4me I searched each forum by itself to find what I did. Diy, solid state, general audio discussion I searched. Wish I could find the 1130 SM for a free download.

Back
Top Bottom