NAD tuners any good?

BadassBob

Digitally rendered
Im looking for a NAD tuner to match my NAD C350 integrated. The last tuner I had was in my now sold KR9400, which was excellent. Are the NADs up to snuff or should I look elsewhere? Id really like to get a matching tuner with my integrated.

G'day mate, I've had a NAD 4225 AM/FM tuner since new (mid 1980's) and despite plenty of use, it has never played up and always delivered superb quality (on FM). :yes: Regards, Felix aka catman.

For years I was using the FM tuner section of my NAD 1600 Preamp/Tuner through it's tape out to my AVR because the FM Tuner on the NAD was Better. It sounded very good to me and worked flawlessly. My friend's High end Yamaha bested it, but that Tuner cost more than NAD's Tuner and preamp combined.

I've a 4300 from the early 90s that's pretty good. It is part of their Monitor series. Good sound and great styling.

NAD tuners, in my experience sound great, and I still have an old 4130 that proves it every day - well, every day I use it, which really isn't all that often. However, it depends on your needs in your locale. You might need a more sensitive model than the one I own, which is pretty basic - if there is a particular far-away station you want to pull in. Or if you live in a large urban area with lots of multipath issues and a crowded dial, you may need one further up the line with better capture ratio, or adjustable bandwidths, etc.

For most people, my model would do just fine for FM. Some folks who've never heard a quality tuner will be surprised just how quiet the backgounds are on a good FM tuner. However, I have found the AM sections to be really sub-par, but admit that many excellent tuners share this characteristic. If you run across a used 4155, it's even better. Even the tuners in their stereo receivers are excellent - I also have a C-740 receiver in one of my systems, and get the good sound I've come to expect from more than twenty years of experience with NAD tuners and receivers.

Still got my ole NAD 4020 FM tuner I purchased new in 1980. Works flawlessly.

I think it sounds pretty good. Not quite as good as my Sony ST-J60, Sony XRFHD or Pioneer TX-9500II but a nice tuner nonetheless.

Sounds better than my Yamaha T300.

Last edited:
I picked up a NAD 4225 tuner last week. Some reviews suggest this is the worst tuner NAD made soundwise. It still blows my yamaha tuner away, also in reception.

nad 4020a is a keeper? I was given one along with a nad 310 that needs a new volume control. Would be nice setup if I can figure a control to put into the 310. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom