Nagaoka Record Cleaner

TrexT said:
There's a battery-powered record cleaner brush and vac in one that I saw the other day. I'm wondering if anyone has it?

If it's what I think it is: DON"T USE IT!!! That is one of the Ronco garbage cleaners. I had the misfortune of trying one out several years ago and there is a soft imitation rubber type of brush that came out due to it's age and it left residue all over the record. This was the first record that I actually had to handwash to get the gluey residue off. It was pretty bad and this was from a never opened box so the junk actually deteriorates with age. If you have to get one then get the electric Vac-O-Rec but to be honest it also doesn't do a good job and I've had one in storage for several years

grumpy said:
As was mentioned before if your carbon fiber brush is leaving lines of dust/dirt then your using it wrong. You are supposed to trail the brush from inner to outer edge and at no time to you lift the brush straight off the disk.

Carbon fiber is light years softer and many many times finer then a normal paint brush. Fact I would not trust any normal paint brush even if it was one of the uber expensive ones. Too great a risk of scratching my vinyl.

Grumpy, the brushes I picked up have natural bristles and they are incredibly soft and thin. The stifness comes from secondary nylon bristles which are cut about 1/2" before the contact natural bristles. They have a taper on the ends also. These things are not ordinary paint brushes and will not scratch vinyl.

While I have you, can you recommend a good wet/dry carbon fiber brush to clean my grooves?

Thanks

I use the VPI Brush for wet cleaning. They last for years.

My local record store retailer warner me to be cautious of cleaning solutions that contain sillicone. I have been using a Allsop Orbitrac 2 cleaning system and it works really nice. It's pricey though, costing around $50.00.

Back
Top Bottom