Nagging computer issue

hrballenger

I'm using Win7 Pro (current on updates and running Defender)

I periodically get a message that says "Adobe Update is available"... but AdobeARMservice is disabled in
"Services". Why am I getting the message ?

If I go to Task Manager and do an End Process I get a message that says " Do you want to end AdobeARM.exe *32'? " If I say Yes, the process ends but then if I'm monitoring task manager, the AdobeARM fires back up 15 minutes or so later

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\armsvc.exe" exists, but not a *32 version when I do a file search on the drive

It's trying to use Adobe Acrobat Update Service to Update Adobe Reader X1 11.0.12 So far I have not accepted or installed the offered update.

What gives and why is it using or trying to use a 32 bit version (that doesnt seem to exist anywhere on the drive). ?

I hate Adobe Acrobat......anything Adobe actually. Even Adobe flash is not needed, for me at least on my Win7 PC I keep it free of anything from Adobe.

I got rid of Adobe Acrobat (along with it's associated update app} and use the free version of Foxit PDF reader.

Also, if installing anything choose a custom install and not the 'recommended' as often that way you can avoid the install adding any unwanted programs that might be enabled by default when choosing the recommended install.

Also, windows defender is pretty useless, even the Windows Internet Security is very meh...

Try installing something like Avast free for viris's, add also Malwarebytes for malware protection (i paid for the Premium version as I thought that was worth it for the extra functions) Also there is a Microsoft program that is small and free that is used in cooperate areas to harden up PCs against hacking called EMET, It's another level of protection that complements the combo of Avast + Malwarebytes.

Good that you keep Windows 7 up to date with security updates/patches.

As datafone suggest's use avast free for protection.
Install blue springs jet clean and use the startup manager to desable adobe update service.
It's a small cleanup program that takes up little space but it works really well.
Hope you get it sorted.

Sorry to get picky.
I would suggest not using a program like that, you can uninstall all the adobe stuff via 'Programs and Features' in control panel.

If you retain Adobe Acrobat and disable It's updating feature (goes for any program that has that kind of system access) you then have a program that doesn't get security updates/patches and then you have another vulnerability exposed on your system.

Also! Adobe is often reported as spying on It's customers, another reason I don't have their products on my PC, lots or references on the net. They don't care if they compromise your security.
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20071228/020818.shtml
https://www.welivesecurity.com/2010/10/06/adobe-flash-the-spy-in-your-computer-part-1/
http://www.fudzilla.com/news/42700-adobe-pushed-insecure-spying-chrome-browser-extension

The list goes on.

Last edited:
Yeesh.

I have similar problems - my 2013 laptop (4 gb RAM) is getting bogged down when I'm hardly doing anything. The list of stuff that is running is incredible. Including that win 10 Cortana thing (sort of a Siri helper). I tried ending the process and Cortana just opens herself up again. :rolleyes:

I switched to windows 10 and now every time I boot it up, 5 mins late I get the blue screen of death. No one knows how to fix it.

I have Adobe Reader but no Flash and no updating and no problems - yet.
Also, I might add that if I want to watch online vids, I use my phone and get by with that.

Last edited:
@botrytis

Defender doesn't cause problems, it just doesn't defend you from much at all. Microsoft Security Essentials is better but not not a whole lot better. I also don't like many of the all in one security solutions from the likes of Symantec, Trend Micro ect'

If anyone needs to have adobe flash installed, like to play flash based games on Facebook ect', at least install EMET to help protect against hackers.

Yeesh.

I have similar problems - my 2013 laptop (4 gb RAM) is getting bogged down when I'm hardly doing anything. The list of stuff that is running is incredible. Including that win 10 Cortana thing (sort of a Siri helper). I tried ending the process and Cortana just opens herself up again. :rolleyes:

Google it. Depending on your W10 version it involves a little Regedit hack and she's gone. It frees up so much capacity it's fully worth it.

Back
Top Bottom