Naim NAC 112 and NAP 150

Sgt.Pepsi

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Recently acquired a Naim seperates that consists of NAC 112 pre and NAP 150 amp. It drives a set of Epos ES-11. I spent the weekend listening to it and like it very much despite reading that the NAC 112 isn't a very good pre amp. I noticed that that the Epos are able to handle low end with much more ease than when they were partnered witht the Creek 4040S2. For example with Madonna's song Erotica the Epos would bottom out but not now with the Naim equipment. Also have a CD5 in this system and it outperforms my phono set up.I have to say that I have been moved to tears sevral times with this system. Shirley Horn sounds incredible by the way. Very happy with the system and even considering letting a lot of my other equipment go.

Nothing wrong with the NAC-112, might not have been their best budget preamp, but decent regardless! With the NAP-150, I am sure it is a decent combo for the Epos, good stuff, enjoy!

Tim

Thanks Tim I love my Naim equipment. They really changed how I listened to music. Glad to have it again, had a Nait 5i and CD5i but had to sell due to other financial obligations at the time. Agreed there is nothing wrong with the NAC-112, its fantastic :music: Sounds amazing with the Epos. Really dig your Naim equipment by the way. Beautiful pieces you own.

Thanks, yes, I have owned Naim equipment since the early 80's, from bits and pieces to an active SBL system. These days I like the simpler, less boxes approach, and the Uniti has been a great piece of gear. Enjoy your gear, but most of all, love your music! Have fun, you have a really nice setup there!

Thanks, yes, I have owned Naim equipment since the early 80's, from bits and pieces to an active SBL system. These days I like the simpler, less boxes approach, and the Uniti has been a great piece of gear. Enjoy your gear, but most of all, love your music! Have fun, you have a really nice setup there!
Those Uniti1's looks and sound pretty great! Which speakers are you running with it? Also, care to share more abou your Larc's I've always wanted to hear those and have wondered how they sound--especially since the design seems to fly in the face of "tweeters at ear level" "speakers toed in towards listener" and all those other classic guides that most loudspeakers come with.

Those Uniti1's looks and sound pretty great! Which speakers are you running with it? Also, care to share more abou your Larc's I've always wanted to hear those and have wondered how they sound--especially since the design seems to fly in the face of "tweeters at ear level" "speakers toed in towards listener" and all those other classic guides that most loudspeakers come with.

Sorry MS1, obviously I do not get on the Karma as much as I used to, so missed your questions here! Much apologies!

I use my Naim Uniti between both the Larsen Model 4 and also the Shahinian Larcs. The Naim gear suits the Larc better than my Croft amps do, so that is the pairing when running the Larc. The Naims work very well though with both speakers.

The Larcs are an interesting speaker, and basically take the typical Shahinian approach, just in a much smaller package. The Larc can be placed several different ways, I typically use mine on 24” solid stands. I have sat the. On the stands upright firing more towards the ceiling, and I have also laid them down on their long side(back) firing at me somewhat like a pair of mini monitors. Either way sounds good, direct firing gives more precise image, but can be a little bright sounding, so I play with toe in/out in that mode. Firing upright and straight on, gives a more open, lively sound, which I tend to like, as it is more of an Omni presentation, which I do like.

I have also just sat them on the floor close to the rear wall behind them, and while they still sound good and can be very enveloping this way, they tend to lose a bit on the image height thing slightly. They do give the illusion of decent dynamics and bass for such a small cabinet, the bass loading of the cabinet is interesting, more of a resistive port type of loading, with many small holes in the bottom of the stuffed cabinet.

Like most Shahinian, they like a decent amp capable of delivering a fair amount of current, but overall, a fairly easy load to drive. They are just a really fun speaker, expensive new, but unique too. Hopefully you will get a chance to hear them someday!

Tim

Back
Top Bottom