Nak CR-7A

Pharssa

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a chance to buy a Nak CR-7A deck, but it’s missing a button cap / cover (one of the fader buttons) and will require servicing. I have never owned a Nak before, but I know there are techs who can service it but am not sure about the replacement button cap.

Are parts / buttons etc for this deck easy to find.

Thanks,

I don't know for certain, though I can tell you that for the PA-7A power amp (presumably from around the same time period), cosmetic parts are almost impossible to find. I imagine the tape decks were more plentiful, since that's what Nak was known for, but I'd wait for others to chime in before purchasing if you can't live with it as it is, looks-wise.

Just noticed - on the auction site prices for this deck is over the top. A for parts only unit is listed for 850. I believe CR-5A has the same front panel, so could be a source as well. Not sure, if there are other Nak models which had similar buttons and are easier to find.

...but I'd wait for others to chime in before purchasing if you can't live with it as it is, looks-wise.

I almost always buy units for my personal use; so, looks are important. I will wait to see if I can find the missing part.

Thanks,

I'd pass. I will not look at anything with missing buttons/knobs as they can be impossible to find.

The CR-5&7 are the only ones with that button form factor. If the price is good, and the rest of the cosmetics are good/great, then it is definitely worth the purchase if it is only the button cover. Any of the button covers can drop off, they are just glued to the lower button frame. I replace them all the time, the most common/hard to find one is Play. But Fader up or down can usually be found. If you decide to pass on it, let me know and I would be glad to purchase it if the price is good.

I know the deck you are referring to and the deck is in really nice condition other than the missing button. I would buy it, use it and when a cr5 parts deck shows up, snag the buttons. Its a waiting game but like i said. The deck is real nice other than no fader button.

You could consider 3D printing if you have a second that is the same.

3D Printing crossed my mind also; but I could use suggestions on how It go about it. I am planning to go and check out the deck - leaning towards picking it up.

Thanks,

I did buy an amplifier where the seller had replicated a foot using a 3D printer, and I have a colleague who bought a 3D printer to experiment, and I asked him to print a button for a Toshiba amp I had. He never did get it quite right, and has since sold the printer. I think it all comes down to finding someone with the talent and creativity to pull it off. The better he is at it, the better the replication.

For a foot, 3D is fine. For a fine smooth surface, not so much. Plus on many decks the operation is inked to the cover, which means the solution is only a partial success.

Back
Top Bottom