Nak stasis PA-7 VS. Krell KAV-250A

I've heard that Krell inside of my system once. Unfortunately it was not a good match for my system though, and it didn't sound anywhere near as good as it should have.

I don't know the differences in sound between the two but this is like comparing Ford to Ferrari IMO. Try comparing Krell to McCormick, Pass, Aragon or Levinson. Nak in my opinion belongs in the ranks of Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha and such........Good Luck in your endeavors.

Shawn, while I am not familiar with the Krell, I did a lot of research into the PA-7 and found that it is quite a nice amp with plenty of "oomph" and finesse. They are very well regarded, with plenty of power (200 WPC IIRC). There is a Mk 2 version that I think put out 220 WPC. I had originally thought about replacing my Kenwood 700M with the Nak, but decided against it because I like the 700M just so darn much.

I'd venture to guess that there will be a hefty difference in price. The PA-7 tends to sell for around $750, give or take $100.

I don't know the differences in sound between the two but this is like comparing Ford to Ferrari IMO. Try comparing Krell to McCormick, Pass, Aragon or Levinson. Nak in my opinion belongs in the ranks of Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha and such........Good Luck in your endeavors.

IYO indeed! The Nak is a real hifi component for sure, and is easily the equal (if not the better) of any of the Aragon/Adcom/Acurus/McCormick/B&K/Threshold/Forte etc. amplifiers out there on the used market.

How it would compare to a big Krell or Levinson though? Hard to say, but the PA-7 is one heck of a nice amplifier, and should be able to drive most speakers with ease.

FYI, they used the stasis technology (by Nelson Pass), hence the name Nak. Stasis PA-7.

I think I'd take the Nak, it looks good, built like a tank, sounds sweet (and good), and is pretty rare, so value will only increase with the years...

Good luck,
Bert.

Basically the PA-7 is a Threshhold, as basite said, it was created using Nelson Pass' Stasis technology. This is not the ordinary nak amp. The Krell just cost's twice as much but I would say if I had the cheese I'd go for the Krell!

There is an MK-II on craigslist for $1200 I believe, it's said to be new in box.

Shawn.

$1200 is a lot of money, but the Nak PA-7 MkII is a lot of amp. I believe the MkII's are harder to come by. If its actually NIB would definitely be worth checking out.

I have the Krell. It wasn't cheap and has BAGS of current - tons of low end control and uuumph. Brings out the absolute best of a set of Vandersteen 2C's - YES 30hz is doable!

Tons of power in reserve too. How does it "sound"? Hard to tell - I don't have a similar quality amp to throw in the mix and sense the difference. But I sure do notice that the Vandy's have more bass, tighter bass, more snap and better imaging than with a Denon PMA 700V or a Yamaha Receiver. But I guess you'd expect that, eh?

I was searching for Aragon 4004Mk II, but found the Krell first. Several folks have suggested I was lucky and that the Aragon was no match for the Krell - but I've not heard them b2b to compare.

Another bonus to having a Krell is being able to say you have a Krell - if that matter to you.

RK

Arcam CD-23 (FMJ)
Parasound P3
Krell KAV-250
Vandy 2C's
Kimber 8TC speaker cable
Nordost Red Dawn XLR IC's

PA-7 is a very nice amplifier. I heard it in Japan back when it was new. Listened to it on my DQ-10s, B&W Matrix 3s, and pair of Polk SDA-SRS. Plenty of power, current and depth. I firmly believe that is was one of the best amplifiers available at the time. But that is just my humble opinion.

I hold the same opinion Whitehorn,heard it recently on Dynaudio towers,some NHT classic 2's and Klipsch forte's,it sounded awesome!

Shawn.

Back
Top Bottom