Nakamich sr-2a stasis receiver, no sound

badmotorsctr

Need some help, my Nakamichi sr-2a was working fine, sounding great. plugged in new turntable, which has the line/phono pre-amp switch on the back. had it set to phono, plugged new turntable into the phone rca jacks on back of the sr-2a, when the needle hit the vinyl, heard loud rumbling, volume was not up loud, and now nothing. Receiver powers on etc, but tuner, cd, nothing produces any sound. plugged components into another receiver as well as new turn table, and everything works fine.

Is there something with the Stasis receiver I missed? Does it need "re-set" or something? I'm at a loss. Did I blow it by chance?

Thanks for any advice/help.

Loud rumble with the volume down doesn't sound good. Did you drop the needle or put it down normally. If you had the TT switch in the wrong place you could have overloaded the phono stage but that would not blow the unit. How long have you had it and what do you know about it's history. I do not know if you have a red light on the 2 that turns green when it comes out of protection. It should flash red for 5 seconds and then turn green and a relay should click. Try to plug some ear phones into it. My guess is that something failed. If you have a dc volt meter, we can make some checks. Are all the led's lit and does the tuner lock on stations. where are you?

I'm not sure what is wrong either. There isn't a red-green protection light on the SR-2A, so no indicator to help there. My first step would be to check the internal fuses, located on a circuit board near the transformer (left side of chassis).

When you connect the turntable to your SR-2A you connect the left and right RCA connectors AND the ground wire???

The Line Phone Pre Amp switch is on the back of your Turntable???

Are you plugging the turntable into the AC outlet of the SR-2A in back???

What type of turntable are you connecting to your Nak???

Bill

To answer some questions. I have had the unit about 5 years, and its worked great since I've had, not issues what so ever. The TT switch was on "source" when I hit the "phono" output. Then i turned the turntable on, it has automatic play, so the needle came over, and lowered onto the album, then loud rumble from the speakers, then silence. I have not checked the fuses, but will do that.

There is no ground wire on this turntable. Its the in-expensive Audio Technica AP-LP60 turntable. Does not have a ground wire. Has the switch on back for "line/phono", which i had it set to "phono" when i plugged it in. Yes, I plugged the red/white rca jacks from the turntable into the red/white rca phono in jacks on the back of the SR-2A.

I had the turntable and the receiver both plugged into the same power strip. Not plugged into the back of the SR-2A.

I plugged to the turntable into my other Nakamichi receiver, which is a TA-2A (stasis also), and it works fine.

Also, the receiver powers on, lights up etc. I tried plugging headphones in, and tried tuner, cd, phono, all of them no sound, even thru headphones.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

that definitely doesn't sound good...hopefully some replaced internal fuses (I believe there are 4) will get you back up and running...

Bill

Need some help, my Nakamichi sr-2a was working fine, sounding great. plugged in new turntable, which has the line/phono pre-amp switch on the back. had it set to phono, plugged new turntable into the phone rca jacks on back of the sr-2a, when the needle hit the vinyl, heard loud rumbling, volume was not up loud, and now nothing. Receiver powers on etc, but tuner, cd, nothing produces any sound. plugged components into another receiver as well as new turn table, and everything works fine.

Is there something with the Stasis receiver I missed? Does it need "re-set" or something? I'm at a loss. Did I blow it by chance?

Thanks for any advice/help.

By the description it sounds like you have bad soldering at either Q405 or Q406 in the +/-18V supply.
Easy to spot as they are the only TO220 transistors on the main board with heat spreaders on them.

When the solders on these go bad on SR-2/3 models they might blow the rail fuses also,F401 and F402, scary as hell when they do.

But fixing those bad solders will most likely bring your unit back in a working state. :)

Back
Top Bottom