Nakamichi 482 Issues... Sad.

aaquaa

Score: Nak482. But "you can't always get what you want," as the icon said.

I take the beaut home (observing a welcome relief from back pain due to lugging '70s stuff around) shove a cassette in it, plug it in and... nothing.

The deck lights up, gets me drooing, but that's it. Doesn't play the cassette. Nor does it wind it - to be precise, the fast forward works but the rewind function doesn't.

Do you think it can be repaired? Belt or motor issues? Cheap or expensive repair?

Any ideas?

I heard that Nak decks require special knowledge to fix, to avoid further mucking things up. So ask ahead whether your shop specializes in Nak. Just to be safe.

I would guess belts and idler wheel. I have replaced them on several Naks, including my 480. Belts are not hard to do. Idler is a little more involved but not terrible.

The 482 is the 3 head top of the 480 line so well worth exploring the repair. With the decks 30+ years old, you virtually should expect they will all need work, at least new belts and idler wheel.

Recommend Marrs Communications (google his website) for the best belts and kits, very good belts.

The 482 needs to have the mechanism taken apart to get to the idler tire. It is built like a sandwich, in layers. The plates are supported by nylon standoffs that get brittle with age. You have to be very careful not to put sideways force on them or they will break off. Then you will have a real nasty repair job, because it's almost impossible to glue nylon. Do the belts at the same time as the idler tire. Marrs sells them in a kit. He gets them from the original factory that made them. Others are made from inferior rubber that won't last.
Inspect the pinch rollers. They must be dull black in color, not shiny. If they are shiny they must be replaced or the tape will skew on the capstans and mangle the tape. Replacements are not cheap. Terry Witt of terrysrubberrollers.com can rebuild them for less than new ones.

Guys, you are all beautiful! Thanks a lot & 3 hoorahs for my cassette revival!
(I still keep hundreds of those in cardboard boxes.)

There is a small lite below the tape counter and if it's blown out there's no transport
operation at all.

Tube

There is a small lite below the tape counter and if it's blown out there's no transport
operation at all.

Tube

Really? Whose idea was that?
Though I do know that on some receivers (such as mine), if the "FM Stereo" light is blown, you get no FM stereo.

I know the Nakamichi Dragon has a lamp and a tape motion sensor like that. A disc with openings in it moves with the take up reel and provides an alternating light on the sensor when the tape is in motion. I don't remember the 482 having that, though.

Back
Top Bottom