Nakamichi 582

mark126

I went back to the thrift shop and bought the Nakamichi 582 I mentioned in NAD and Kenwood thread since it moved tape. I also played a tape they had there and saw the VU meters moving, so I figured it was worth the risk.

I hooked it up to my Sherwood test receiver and played an old tape of my wife's. When I hit play it seemed like it started playing before the tape was up to speed and then as it was playing it would be "fine" (though a little muddy sounding) and then warbley and then "fine" again. The tape I found has probably been sitting for a few years and been through a number of temperature extremes, so I would not be surprised if the tension on it is loose. But, I'm thinking there could also be a problem with the transport (slipping belt maybe)? I'm sure there is a reason it was in the thrift shop. The counter won't reset -- maybe that's related.

I'll clean it up later and see if I can find some better tapes to try.

We have a mini-headphone - tape adapter that we use with an iPod in the car. Would it hurt to use this in the Nak? I am thinking that if it sounds good with that, it tells me the problem is with either the tape or the transport and not with the audio section of the deck.

Before anyone thinks I'm crazy to buy a bunch of broken equipment, rest assured I find it entertaining to learn about them and try to get them going again. :scratch2: (I'm sure I'm not alone here.)

Can anyone tell me about how to use the built-in tone generators?

Mark

First thing to do is give it a good cleaning. Clean the heads with isopropyl alcohol until nothing comes off. Then clean the pinchrollers with ethanol, vodka works fine. Clean until the brown residue stops coming off and you see black start to come off on the qtip. This is the outer layer of rubber, time to stop.
Clean the capstans, the posts that turn the pinchrollers, with isopropyl alcohol until nothing comes off.
The warbling and sound becoming duller then clearer is a transport problem, hopefully the cleaning will fix that.
The speed problem is caused by a loose drive belt, It will need to be replaced. www.nakusa has all the parts. Order new pinchrollers while you're at it. All closed loop dual capstan drives require the pinchrollers to be in perfect condition or they will eat tape or the tape will skew back and forth on the pinchrollers, and you won't have good alignment with the heads.
The test tones are used to adjust the bias and record gain. You adjust the bias so the level on the meters is the same for the 400 Hz tone and the 10KHz tone. this is done by recording a tape with the deck in tape monitor mode. You first push the 400Hz tone button and look at the meter, then push the 10KHz button and adjust the bias so the level is the same.

I cleaned it the best I could, though not much dirt came off the pinch rollers. It sounds a little better but still warbles. Also, it crunched up a tape. :yikes:

I did fix the counter reset. I just had to move the little arm back to the front of the mechanism.

The thin belt that drives the idler tire (correct name?) isn't all that tight.

I sent an email to parts@nakusa.com asking for a price list for parts available for the 582 and received a reply that I could buy the service manual for $50.00 :jawdrop: Anyone have one that would cost less for copying and shipping (or emailed PDF)?

Overall it is pretty clean both inside and out, so I will probably go ahead and fix it.

Thanks all,

Mark

Originally posted by dr*audio
... Clean the heads with isopropyl alcohol ....

98% or 99% Isopropyl is what he meant to say. Off the shelf 91% is NASTY and full of more grime than tap water.

Cheers,
Russ

Originally posted by dr*audio
First thing to do is give it a good cleaning. Clean the heads with isopropyl alcohol until nothing comes off. Then clean the pinchrollers with ethanol, vodka works fine.

Are you supposed to clean with the vodka, drink it, or both? ;)

Heck, 91% would be the good stuff around here. We only had 70%. Maybe that's why not much gunk came off. I have some denatured alcohol in the garage. I think it's 95% ethanol and 5% methanol.

They only put the methanol in there to keep you from drinking it.

Out of vodka. We have rum, but I didn't try it.

:beer:

Mark

If you call Nakusa and talk to Patty, she can tell you the part numbers and the prices by description. Just tell her you need:
2 pinchrollers
play idler assy
all belts.
That's what you need to get it working properly. You can probably do without the manual.

Back
Top Bottom