Nakamichi CD Player 2 and 3

yoho

Hello,
I have a Nakamichi CD Player 2 and 3 both of which the cd tray sticks without a little nudge. It could be worse but I'm one of the people who wants older good quality stuff to work perfectly. I've bought belts to replace the ones on the player but you have to be a trained monkey/octopus to get them off. Any thoughts?

I have the same problem as you yoho. I will follow this thread to see what is suggested. My tray sticks upon opening and needs a nudge to open. After that it will close when the 'load' button is depressed and plays fine....

Bring it to the zoo to have it fixed.

:D

Changing belts could help, as could cleaning the old grease on sliding parts, as it possibly gathered dust and hardened with time. Re-lube with light machine oil. You could also check the limit switches and see if you could send a little shot of contact cleaner in them, I've had issues with these a few times.

az

I have a CDP2 that's doing the same thing. Tell me where you got your belts and I'll order mine and report back when I'm elbow deep in it. :)

Changing these is not simple! I've done it but I'm a professional, and it was a challenge.

I ended up cutting about 1/2 turn off the coil spring under the disc clamp of my CDP-2A. Works great.

Do this at your own peril.

Awhile back I grabbed a CDP-2A from a goodwill that the tray would not open. I ordered a tray belt from here, http://www.eslabs.com/nakamichi.htm
Once I was able to get the tray to slide out, I shut off the unit with the tray out, and used a small pick (might have been a seal puller, it was a craftsman and had a screwdriver handle, pretty small) to pry the old belt off the pulley. Then I just put the new belt on by turning the pulley, letting the belt work it's own way ont the pulley. Wasn't too difficult. Just be careful and work slow.

I just picked one of these up, and found an easy fix for the sticky tray, but perhaps not recommended

at the back right of the tray is a little metal tab with a small white wheel.
this locks into a notch on the tray, which seems to lock it in.

I bent the little metal tab outwards loosening the death grip it has on the notch in the tray.
that loosened it enough to prevent it from sticking.

in the long term you will want to change the belt.

what I think is happening, as the belt gets older and the rubber gets a bit weak, it loses elasticity, thus it doesn't grip the pulleys adequately. this little locking device makes it difficult to move the tray.
loosen that up a bit, and it opens more freely.

Last edited:
Changing these is not simple! I've done it but I'm a professional, and it was a challenge.

I know, but worth the effort.
Nakamishi players were quite good, my grandpa bought a CD Player 2 back in the 90's and says he payed a pretty penny for it.

I have a Nakamichi CD Player 3. Had the same issue with the tray sticking trying to open. Did the same quick fix as in post #9 by slightly bending that tab. Works without trouble now and it plays great,

Okay you guys are awesome. i had cdplayer 3 i bought a couple months ago for 6 bucks laying around that i had the same problem. and that fixed that problem.. actually also had another problem reading discs, a little ear swab and alcohol on the lens fixed that problem... this thing sounds awesome.. this was my first Nakamichi piece...

Old thread but wanted to give a huge THANKS to treserious. I just picked up a Nak CD Player 3 with the sticky tray. Moved the tab out a couple times and BAM!, the baby was working. I may change the belts at some point but this saved me a pant load of belt changing grief. High five to you. Once you've tried Nak, you never go back, or was it Mac? :scratch2:

It is worthwhile to note the Nakamichi "CD Player 2" is a different machine than the Nakamichi CDP-2 (A, E).

NAKAMICHI CD PLAYER 1
2 x PCM1700P-N - SM5813APT
KSS-150A / KSS-210A
NAKAMICHI CD PLAYER 2
2 x PCM1700P - SM5840CP
KSS-150A / KSS-210A
NAKAMICHI CD PLAYER 3
1 x PCM1700P - SM5840CP
KSS-210A
NAKAMICHI CD PLAYER 4
AD1864N - SM5840BP
KSS-150A / KSS-210A