Nakamichi CD Player 2 Tray Not Opening

DHeckeler

Have a Nakamichi CD Player 2 that the tray doesn't open. When I took the top off there is nothing jamming. I added grease to the rail. It retracts without any issues. Any suggestions? I can post a video of it tomorrow morning if that would help.

Last edited:
It's usually the belt slipping, or a friction point related to 1) moving the mech up or down, or 2) pushing the door open. Also possible the motor has lost some of its original torque but start from the belt and then look at what rubs against what when it's trying to open.

John

Is there a good way to replace the belt? I have the manual with all the diagrams - it really isn't very clear. I have a replacement belt from Nakamichi ready to install. Looking for some advice and help. Thanks!

Probably, but I'm not familiar with that particular mechanism. Someone else may be & chime in here, but in the absence of a hands-on tutorial, it comes down to locating the existing belt and looking at what's required to get the old one off, the new one on, whether any gearing that might have to stay sync'd has to come apart to do it, etc. For sure you want to make sure the surfaces the belt rides on are clean (no oil or grease built up on them) and don't get the new belt oily or greasy in the process of installing it. Any geared mechanisms involved in the movement of parts during the open sequence should be checked to make sure they're still moving easily w/o sticky points. Same for the door mechanism.

John

Got the tray to open! The CD spins for about 10 seconds, but does not play. I wiped the lens with alcohol and a Q-Tip. Any thoughts on this new issue?

Thanks for the link. I tried an older CD and it played right away. I'm guessing the first one I tried might have been a CDR and the player simply doesn't know how to read it. Thank you again for all the help!

No worries, glad you were able to get it working. Funnily there are some early players - well before CDR - that are quite capable of playing a CDR, but I'm not surprised that Nak CD2 isn't one of them.

John

Back
Top Bottom