Nakamichi CDP-2A v. CDC-3A

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by Panamafred, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Panamafred

Panamafred AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey all Consulting the collective AK consciousness on this one. my CDP 2A has been acting up lately, but is still working basically fine.

I just found this CDC 3A 6 CD changer this morning for a very good price. I can't stand changers but I couldn't pass it up. I don't like having to put the CDs into the magazines. What I want to know is are there any Sonic advantages over my CDP 2A?

I feel like that "3" denotes some improvement but cant be sure. I think they use the same DAC. would it be worth the mild inconvenience of loading that cartridge instead of a tray?

Any input is welcome I realize ultimately that I'm the only one who can answer this question but if there's any technical information that my ears may not be able to discern I would be eager to hear it thank you!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. northpaw

northpaw AK Subscriber Subscriber

I can't answer your question, but I can confirm that the two players have the same DAC (Philips TDA1541A). If the quality of the rest of the circuitry is comparable, they should be pretty similar sounding units. Sounds like you have a good back up machine now.

There are single-CD inserts available for the Pioneer 6-disc mechanism that the CDC-3A uses (PWY1009/PWY1010). With a lot of older CD players that used these Pioneer 6-disc mechanisms out there, the cartridges and single inserts do show up on ebay reasonably often. IMO the single-disc inserts are not quite as convenient as a tray on a single disc machine, but I found it more convenient than working with the 6-disc magazine. I believe the designation of the single-disc insert is "PRW 172 Single CD magazine".

3. Dandy

Dandy Super Member

I'm wondering in what way your CDP-2A has been acting up?

4. Panamafred

Panamafred AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks for the replies, the CDP 2A was consistently getting stuck and skipping at the beginning and end of CDs. I have since resolve this by cleaning off the rail that the laser travels on with rubbing alcohol and relubing. it with Teflon Grease. After doing this I haven't seen any of those problems occur.

I've decided now that any Sonic advantages of the CDC 3 were not worth the inconvenience of the magazine. Regardless I'd still be interested to find out if there are significant differences in the audio path

Dandy likes this.
  5. kink56

kink56 Active Member

I have both. There are no sonic advantages the C-3A has over the P-2A. In fact the CDP-2A is considered by those in the know to best most other well regarded TDA-1541A chip players, each in stock form. Although the Marantz CD-94 or Philips CD-960 or 880, or the Sony CDP-337ESD are far more rugged in construction; the Nak has the edge in its circuit design.

dfunghi and Dandy like this.
  6. dfunghi

dfunghi AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just grabbed a CDP 2-A locally. Has been sitting for 20 years he said. I will lube and re belt and hope for best. I know the seller so I won't get stuck. I needed a new (new to me) CDP since so much new music is on vinyl in name alone why spend extra dough on records of they are really CDs?

Please register to disable this ad.