Nakamichi Dragon Issue

G Stump

Greetings All,

I just picked one of these up used here in my area in overall mint shape with the exception of 2 issues. #1 - the trasport only working (play, record, FF, etc) in one direction. When I try the other direction is works for a second and then shuts itself down. #2 - when putting a new tape in the machine, it tries to rewind it by itself for a second before it stops.

I'm fairly good at following directions and have a service manual for this thing but I'm assuming this is going to require outside help to fix. I'd still like to have some idea what is most likely causing this issue and would also appreciate any referrals to someone in the Portland, OR area.

Thanks in advance!

I have heard a lot about this unit. It works with a system of autoazimuth : very little movements of the heads to match the tape, so the autoreverse is almost perfect because if there is a change in the position of the head when is changing the side of the tape played or recorded?, it is corrected, so A/B side differences almost don't exist

Problem #1 may be lack of lubricant in the left side motor/capstan/flywheel. Problem #2 behaves this way by design. The action removes tape slack. I repair Dragons, but I am pretty far from Portland.

Back
Top Bottom