Nakamichi LX-5 vs. CR-3

Squirrely

I have a Nakamichi CR3 and I like it fine. I have the opportunity to buy a Nakamichi LX5. I know they are both 3 head decks. Would the LX5 be an improvement over my CR3? Any help with this is greatly appreciated. If I am going to do this it will likely be tomorrow.

Thanks

Just realized that the title of this thread may suggest that I am offering a write up comparing these two decks. Well I can do that now. I picked up the LX-5 this morning and I have had a chance to A/B test it with the CR-3.
So far both these decks are really nice, but the LX-5 really is a step up from the CR-3. In order to get comparable push out of the CR-3 the output has to be at least one quarter turn up compared to the LX-5. When the output of the two machines are balanced so they deliver equal volume as I moved a tape back and forth the LX-5 sounds more balanced and more detailed. The CR-3 delivers more base and it sounds loose at that. Detail delivered by the LX-5 is outstanding.
So far I have listened to Mary Chapin Carpenter (Shooting Straight in the Dark) and Gloria Estefan (Into the Light). I have yet to rock out to the likes of Pink Floyd where I can evaluate sound stage dynamics but the acoustic strings from Mary Chapin Carpenter were much brighter and detailed from the LX-5. I could hear how a string was struck and then resonated more clearly. What impressed my with Gloria Estefan was the speed and resolution of instrumentation delivered by the band, I'm assuming the Miami Sound Machine.
Equipment used to compare these decks was Sony TA-E77es preamplifier, Sony TA-N80es amplifier and ADS L1230 speakers. The only difference in set up between the two was the interconnects used. I tried to use two pair that were as close to each other as I could find. One pair was Cardas I don't know the name of the model but they are green with gold RCAs. The other pair where Audioquest. They where also green with gold RCAs. Neither of these are exceptional. I paid $120.00 for the Cardas and received the Audioquest for free when I purchased the Nakamichi Cr3. I used the Cardas on the Lx-5.

I have a Nakamichi CR3 and I like it fine. I have the opportunity to buy a Nakamichi LX5. I know they are both 3 head decks. Would the LX5 be an improvement over my CR3? Any help with this is greatly appreciated. If I am going to do this it will likely be tomorrow.

Thanks

LX-5 is older (early 80's) than CR-3. (late 80's) Former have a warmer (analog) sound whereas latter will have a colder (digital) sound.

You have added yourself to the number of people that prefer the standard (or Classic) transport and electronics to the later Sankyo transport and electronics. (of which, I am one, BTW). Even though the CR-3 has a direct drive capstan & slaved, vs both off a separate motor & belt driven on the LX-5, as well as further tape guides and "less" accurate head tracking, the sound from the older decks just seem more live and real, IMHO. Of course, you HAVE to be assured, via testing, that both decks are operating within their specs, which on untested decks is a total crapshoot. You may have a superb CR-3, poorly adjusted, and an ok LX-5, operating at it's max. But I have done a lot of post restortion comparisons of superb condition units of both, & the LX-5 ( and its autoreversing higher optioned cousin the RX-505) and ZX-7, & all have the same playback signature, where there actually appears to be more depth to the sound stage, and a solid distinct bass line. On the CR-3/4/5 the sound is all there, but sounds flatter, dimensionally, and I agree the bass is a slight bit boomier & less focused. Unless you A/B them side by side, it is not something you would notice, I think.

Lapis likes to use warm analog vs cold digital, but when I compare a CD to a tape onthe CR series, it is not cold to me, but still better sounding (less fatiguing) on the tape. As you noticed the older decks were built with a standard 1V output, vs the .75V on later decks (or even .5V on still later ones) and I think that also helps. When I test decks, I play a 400Hz 0dB test tape in each and adjust the output via a T-100 to assure equal footing at -5dB. The CR3/4/5/7 do have marginally better W&F, but their smaller capstan shafts seem to negate the gains a DD would profer, whereas the ZX-9 and Dragons, with their LX-5 sized capstans, normally provide a more significantly lower W&F than the CR-3/4/5/7.

I would recommend Alex's ground mod be done on any CR-3 or 4. If the OP hasn't done it, it is worth his while to look it up. Lapis, on a great deck, the tape ideally rides only on top of the tape guide and never touches the edges, which while normally the case on the take up side guide on a Sankyo, in reality that is seldom the case on classic transports. The supply tape guide is the more important of the two, and is far closer to the heads on the Sankyo transports, so actual tape path is indeed more accurate. However, I do believe the older larger heads on the standard transports are superior in shape, sound and performance, even if the highest frequency stability is somewhat less.

You guys are talking a bit over my head. I am ready to learn though. Thanks for your help. I will search modifications for the Cr-3 and see what I find. Thanks again.

I searched mods, modification and modifications for Cr-3 and Cr-4 and came up empty. Any suggestions on my search? Does anyone have a link where I can learn more about these mods?
Thanks

LX-5 looks better in person than in pics, for sure. Also, I don't know why I said the CR-3 is DD, like the 4/5/7, it is not. Its dual capstan belt.

It's alive!!!

It is interesting that this thread came back to life today. I just sold the CR-3 last week. I am keeping the LX-5 and I have a Teac C3-Rx I will use in my second system.

Back
Top Bottom