Nakamichi PA-7AII Amplifier distortion

tenelson

I recently was given a complete Nakamichi system, including preamp, tuner, cassette player, CD player, and a PA-7AII power amp. After I connected everything up, I noticed that the left channel occasionally distorts at all volumes. In addition, after a while, it sometimes starts to hum, fairly quietly. The hum volume didn't change when I changed the preamp volume.

I tried another set of speakers, and the distortion was still there. Then I used my Marantz 2230 as a preamp with the PA-7AII, and the distortion was still present. The distortion was completely gone when I switched back to my 2230 as amp+preamp.

So it seems obvious to me that the PA-7AII has a problem. I took the top of the case off, and all of the caps seemed intact. (I've seen the tops of electrolytic caps bulge in circuits that have overheated). What should I do next?

I do like to fix things myself if possible. I'm handy with a soldering iron, multimeter, ordering from Digikey, and so on. I just found the service manual. Right off the bat, I see how to verify DC offset and idle current. I will check those and see where I'm at.

^^^ Good start ^^^^

I always check DC offset and idle bias on an unfamiliar amp before installing in my system. I also have a PA-7AII but mine works flawlessly. There were some reliability problems with the earlier PA-7A amps but I've not heard of excessive issues with the II version. Hopefully it is something simple.

Good luck!

According to the service manual, the idle current should be 40mV both each channel. My left channel measured 2mV, and the right channel measured 3mV. I was able to adjust the trimpot on the right channel to 40.9mV, but the left channel will not adjust, it just stays at the 2mV reading. Does this imply a blown transistor?

Could be a lot of things including a bad trim pot. Take it to a pro...

Back
Top Bottom