Nakamichi RX-505 - Thoughts

MRL_Audio

RIP 2022
Subscriber
Read many if not most of the posts here regarding the Nakamichi RX-505 cassette deck. Not a Dragon but one of the Nak TOTL decks. Really like some of the features and the tape auto reverse is a thing of engineering marvel. Very cool. Was looking for opinions from current or previous owners. Have the opportunity to pick up 2 of these at a fair price and wanted some thoughts before I jump in. Thanks.

I have one...I have a CR7A and a 505....Hard to tell the difference sonically....I love the 505 for the cool factor and its a great sounding deck.

If you can get one at a decent price...go for it...

I have a few too, and have compared them extensively against the Dragon, ZX-9 etc, and they are top tier. RX-505 also has the potential to have the lowest W&F of the standard all belt transports because it is upside down and has extra bracing. When well maintained, they are truly top tier. For recording with the same type tapes that it has been calibrated for, it is equal to a ZX-7, and the record both sides features with auto fade and FF thru the leader is unique and renders the best dual side recording possible. It's "major" fault is the terrible headphone amp. I'd never pass up a good deal on one, much less two!

Well - I took the plunge on the two. $600 shipped to me. Described as near mint in condition. Pictures I received show the cosmetics to be good. We'll see on functionality when they arrive. I'll report back when I have the time to give them the once over.

2 mint ones for $600 shipped is very good! Will they be your first Naks? The RX-505 was my first one...after I saw it in the movie 9 1/2 weeks, I always thought, "Yeah right, like I could afford a deck like that.." That 505 was described as "working", but the cosmetics were perfect. It needed a lot of transport work (frozen roller arms, belts, etc) and i what got me going in the whole Nakamichi DIY thing.

Indeed- first Nak's. What caught me was the engineering behind the tape reversal. Once I read the additional details the deck provides I was hooked. I hope I do not regret the decision... always a risk no matter how much "pre-work" is completed before purchase. Unless you stand in front of something and operate it before you buy it's a crap shoot. More to come.

I have a RX-202 and Dragon and the 202 is a lot more fun watch. I'd like to have a RX-505 one of these days too.

Congrats on the RX-505.
Good choice.

For Playback, it's pretty much on par with the ZX-7, shares the same transport and heads.
As Perry said, recording with a tape it was initially designed for (TDK-SA, for example), it is also very close the the ZX-7. Only the lack of calibration controls hold it back a bit.

The flip mechanism is uber cool!

Last edited:
Thought I'd post a quick update. I received the 2 decks last week and had time to unpack, clean and setup one last weekend. Wow - what can I say. A pleasure to look at, operate and listen to. Very solid machine, befitting a deck that cost big $$$ when new. Although I am still a bit confused on what that was. I've read MSRP facts from $800 to $1,600. Regardless the built in functions and features are outstanding. All the buttons have a solid feel.

At this point the only question I have is related to the insertion of a tape. I get an odd sound, one I am not familiar with with any of my Akai decks, when the tape is tensioned. That's the only time the deck makes the sound. I assume it's the idler wheel on the reel and happens because the tape is already tensioned and there is little to nothing to take up. From what I read in other posts this is normal. I have not had the chance to make any comparisons to my Akai decks (GXC-570D, GXC-750D and GXC-760D) but at this point I think I have a winner here.

Like to hear any thoughts from other owners on the sound I mentioned. Thanks.

RX 505 sound

Hi MRL,
I too have the sound I think you are discribing. Mine gives a slight hum and sorta vibration sound when the tape is loaded. It has done this since new.
You say you have heard this is normai?
Thanks,
J.T.

Idler tire tensioning against the stopped reel tables. Usually when they are a little old, starting to harden, they slip and make a rumbly sqeak.

I LOVED mine. LIkely my all time favorite Nak piece. Wish I could have hung onto it....

I have the RX-303 and love it. I got it for a song a year or so ago. Lately, I've been playing a bunch of quality tapes my oldest brother made back in the mid to late 80's on his Nak Dragon. Those tapes are still in great shape and sound excellent through the RX-303. Extended in both bass and treble, no hiss, no "pumping", no W&F, loads of dynamics, a wide and detailed sound stage. I'll never get rid of this deck. Maybe one day I'll get a 505 or Dragon. Who knows...

I also have an LX-3 in the bedroom system, and that one sounds every bit as good as the 303. That one's also a keeper.

If you got a 303 for a song, you did great! They were only made for a year, and are solid performers. Pretty hard to come by.

If you got a 303 for a song, you did great! They were only made for a year, and are solid performers. Pretty hard to come by.

I didn't know they were only produced for a year, but does explain why I hardly ever see any up for sale. I see plenty of the 202's and 505's though.

Yeah, with shipping, it only cost me $105, and it's totally mint. I gave it a thorough cleaning inside and out and fresh lube. It's worked perfectly the entire time.

I have always been attracted to these decks (the 303 and 505) ever since I was a kid and my oldest brother would let me rummage through all of his various brochures while we sat and listened to his system. I love the very unique auto-reverse feature of these decks as well as the design and layout of the buttons, switches and LED's being similar to the Dragon.

With this new news on the 303's rarity, I'm definitely keeping it for the long haul! :thmbsp:

Thought I'd post a quick update. I received the 2 decks last week and had time to unpack, clean and setup one last weekend. Wow - what can I say. A pleasure to look at, operate and listen to. Very solid machine, befitting a deck that cost big $$$ when new. Although I am still a bit confused on what that was. I've read MSRP facts from $800 to $1,600. Regardless the built in functions and features are outstanding. All the buttons have a solid feel.

At this point the only question I have is related to the insertion of a tape. I get an odd sound, one I am not familiar with with any of my Akai decks, when the tape is tensioned. That's the only time the deck makes the sound. I assume it's the idler wheel on the reel and happens because the tape is already tensioned and there is little to nothing to take up. From what I read in other posts this is normal. I have not had the chance to make any comparisons to my Akai decks (GXC-570D, GXC-750D and GXC-760D) but at this point I think I have a winner here.

Like to hear any thoughts from other owners on the sound I mentioned. Thanks.
That sound is totally normal.

nothing to worry about

2 mint ones for $600 shipped is very good! Will they be your first Naks? The RX-505 was my first one...after I saw it in the movie 9 1/2 weeks, I always thought, "Yeah right, like I could afford a deck like that.." That 505 was described as "working", but the cosmetics were perfect. It needed a lot of transport work (frozen roller arms, belts, etc) and i what got me going in the whole Nakamichi DIY thing.
any idea what is the other equipment he is using?

Back
Top Bottom