Nakamichi Stasis PA-5 Amplifier...

Jon S

I was given one and cannot seem to find too much information on it. I heard that they were problematic and had known issues. Can anyone fill me in what to look out for and if the amp was any good?

I haven't figured out how to do multiple links in one post, but, if you use google there's a whole bunch of stuff, in fact most things audiowise will be on there too.
Craig

The PA-5 and 7 are based on the Threshold (Nelson Pass) Stasis technology. The PA-5 resembles the Threshold S/200, the PA-7 is a brother of the Threshold S/300. Now I haven't heard the Nak's, but I do own a Threshold S/300. This is, IMHO, a very underestimated amp compared to the Krell's and Mark Levinson's from the same period. Now I have heard that although the Nak's are based on the Thresholds, the original Thresholds are better, but I can't confirm this. But a free PA-5 is absolutely worth the money. Considering the age of the amp, it might be a good idea to have a qualified technician check the cap's and the bias etc to ensure everything is working allright. Then you might be in for a treat...
Here and here is more info on the PA-5.

I never heard the PA-5, but a good friend of mine has a PA-7 driving a pair of Magneplanar 3.5R´s, and it sounds excellent.

Very underrated amps, if you ask me.

Here´s a pic I took the first time I went over to his place to listen to his system. yeah, it was covered in dust, I told my friend he should be ashamed of himself, and he was.:D

PICT0126.jpg

I have three STASIS Nakamichi receivers...all excellent and still running since bought new in 1989 (at least the two TA/2As) and my brother was using three PA-7s for home theater...class A I believe...yours are very highly thought of...plenty of information...search for Nelson Pass and STASIS...
Bill

I never heard the PA-5, but a good friend of mine has a PA-7 driving a pair of Magneplanar 3.5R´s, and it sounds excellent.

Very underrated amps, if you ask me.

Here´s a pic I took the first time I went over to his place to listen to his system. yeah, it was covered in dust, I told my friend he should be ashamed of himself, and he was.:D

PICT0126.jpg

jorge, you're mean:D those heat-sinks are sharp, not easy to clean between, in the US we have neat things called Swifter's, Brand Name, they come with extenders for the handles and you can cobble one up with double thingies to really get at something like the face and handles on that beastie, :nono: on ya for posting your friends misfortune,:D,

I bought a PA-5 cheap that some guy was using for a subwoofer amp. Anyways, it needed a little fixing, but not much. Few resistors on one channel. First time I played it on my NS-1000Ms, I liked so much, I pulled the MAC 4100 and put the Nak in it's place. I love it. I fully intended to sell it. Now I doubt it will ever leave.

I was given one and cannot seem to find too much information on it. I heard that they were problematic and had known issues. Can anyone fill me in what to look out for and if the amp was any good?

The PA 5 is an excellent amp. Built lika tank and very sweet sounding. Designed by the man himself ( Nelson Pass ). Made in japan by Nak with high manufacturing standards. The stasis technology allows for it to drive a hard speaker load as well. I have one pa-5 and 4 pa-7's and would hate to lose any of them. You would have to spend a lot of money to get an amp of that quality nowadays. You got a great deal... enjoy it!!!! :music:

@Augy - you have 4 PA-7s? Wow! They are great amps and can hold their own against some of the most expensive amps we have today. Congratulations!
@Jon S. - someone gave you a PA-5? That is outstanding!

Back
Top Bottom