Nakamichi System-One • Comprising of rack mounted 600, 610, 620 and 630 Components.

Coming here from google search for S-1 turntable platform.

Wife told me she saw one on the net but could not remember where.

I got her a system 1 when I was selling Nak back in the mid 70's. It was such a new product at that time that we had to (could) pick it up at the docks in L.A when it came in and drove it back to Colorado. Salesman accommodation at that time was around $1k for everything (600+620+630+rack).

Anyone have info on the TT platform shown by the OP?

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ounted-600-610-620-and-630-components.215719/

This is the first I've seen or heard about one being available outside of a custom build.

Coming here from google search for S-1 turntable platform.

Wife told me she saw one on the net but could not remember where.

I got her a system 1 when I was selling Nak back in the mid 70's. It was such a new product at that time that we had to (could) pick it up at the docks in L.A when it came in and drove it back to Colorado. Salesman accommodation at that time was around $1k for everything (600+620+630+rack).

Anyone have info on the TT platform shown by the OP?

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/nakamichi-system-one-•-comprising-of-rack-mounted-600-610-620-and-630-components.215719/

This is the first I've seen or heard about one being available outside of a custom build.

The funny thing is that I always thought that the piece was to support papers and act as a lectern, since this piece was originally used more for public address than a home audio system from what I understand. It certainly could never have supported Nakamichi's own tables (which came later on I believe.) Additionally, it looks as though it would offer marginal support for a table and in fact make control adjustments cumbersome, unless the amp was mounted at the highest piece underneath it in the rack. Please note one of the OP's original photos below:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/TowerBoss/Nakamichi/System-One/NakamichiSystem-OneSide-02.jpg

I would not put a drive platter on it, just a CD player which does not need the same stability.

Now the CD player is on a small stand next to the S-1.

More searching shows most in Europe, not the US so maybe it was not an available option in the US.

Oof, just lost my reply. And with it all the quotes that I painstakingly typed in from the brochures to my statement that …

The Nak system was marketed for serious audiophiles and with the addition of the 610 control amp was for live recording at home. It was not for PA. At least that's what all the promotional literature and all the reviews I have say about it.

On to my questions:

1. I get a hum when I disconnect all the speakers from the amplifier (it's tied to the 610). Must be a ground loop that making the amp live creates. Any thoughts?
2. I have Proac Tablette Signature 8s. Would replacing my 630 preamp/tuner with another 620 in bridged mode deliver yet better sound? Speakers are rated 10-100W, 8 ohms. It wouldn't look as cool of course and I'd lose the FM tuner, which I don't use enough as it is (I know, I need to hook it up to an antenna).

Oof, just lost my reply. And with it all the quotes that I painstakingly typed in from the brochures to my statement that …

The Nak system was marketed for serious audiophiles and with the addition of the 610 control amp was for live recording at home. It was not for PA. At least that's what all the promotional literature and all the reviews I have say about it.

On to my questions:

1. I get a hum when I disconnect all the speakers from the amplifier (it's tied to the 610). Must be a ground loop that making the amp live creates. Any thoughts?
2. I have Proac Tablette Signature 8s. Would replacing my 630 preamp/tuner with another 620 in bridged mode deliver yet better sound? Speakers are rated 10-100W, 8 ohms. It wouldn't look as cool of course and I'd lose the FM tuner, which I don't use enough as it is (I know, I need to hook it up to an antenna).

Just guessing here that it might have something to do with the meal rack itself if the components are mounted therein. Also, why would you have the system on and disconnect the speakers from the amplifier? Some amps do not care for this treatment. Don't ever try that with a tube amp! I have two of the amps bridged and the system sounds great, but what does adding an amp have to do with subtracting the preamp? Please clarify. I think the 2 amps in the rack look really cool and yet, I think that all of the Nak wedge shaped components look best outside of the rack next to each other revealing their true shapes. Also, I love the look and feel of the preamp / tuner which is what attracted me the most to the System One.

Sorry, I meant de-select the amplifier and speaker switch, choosing neither 1, 2, or 3 on the 610.

Unless you have another way to get sound out of the headphones jack and NOT the speakers? That'd be fine too! :)

I love the shape of the tuner too. That's why I have a second sitting in the main living space taking up the space where the turntable used to be in my 1960s vintage stereo cabinet. The turntable itself is mounted much more securely to dampen vibrations.

The system was meant for both functions. The rack was always part of the design, at least since the release of the components, so I think it's great to have it if possible.

Yes the rack & the components were designed as one. However, I remember seeing '70s photos of those components placed side by side, all four wedge shaped pieces, sitting atop what was probably a Barzilay cabinet, and wow did it look nice!

Diva_neon.png

Here it is. Or at least three of them. The 610 is in anodized aluminum, which is a great look. The aluminum faceplate run, I believe, never had a rack.

^^^That is great!! Thank you Tau. And yes, I also see a Revox reel to reel and linear tracking turntable. As far as what is below, the 610, that I cannot tell. Thanks again!

So, I took a few "spare" System One components and hooked them up to the Carlsson OA 52s I just got. The amp works fine. I haven't used this preamp as preamp in a while (it's been a tuner instead). The volume knob was horribly scratchy and sent massive noise through the system. I disassembled the unit after a couple of beers and it was easy enough to take the module that holds the volume and balance pots off and spray deoxit everywhere. Problem solved.

But… and I've noticed this with every 630 I've owned… the FM sounds great, but it leaks into Aux (I hear the signal when I'm playing something via Aux). It's at a quiet level and does NOT seem to respond to the volume. A brief internet search suggested that it's not terribly unusual. Any advice welcome.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom