Nakamichi ZX-7 Current Value

Chorus1fan

Hi guys, I've had my 1 owner (me) Nakamichi ZX-7 since 1984, but haven't used it in years. Today I took it out, powered it up, & successfully played my Led Zeppelin cassette !

When I muted the stereo, I could hear a slight noise from the mechanism during playback I don't remember hearing in the past (still has it's original belt, and has never been apart or serviced) but it played, FF & rewound without a problem. Additionally, all the lights & meters still worked !

I also still have the original factory manual that explains in detail how to set/adjust the azimuth, bias, & level when recording, & even kept the factory plastic caps that cover the pair of knobs for each of these adjustments...(1 cap is on during in the 2nd pic below, other 5 are off for the pic)

Been out of the tape world for awhile, so wondering what is an estimated current fair value would be (I'm sure I need to get it cleaned/serviced/ & probably a belt change)20180204_171718.jpg20180204_171718.jpg 20180204_165908.jpg 20180204_181841.jpg

Last edited:
you may find that after the years in storage, it needs to stretch. play a few tapes,
take some cassettes and forward and rewind them. then clean the capstans, rollers,
and wherever the tape path touches, etc. and if you can demagnetize the heads,

it will sound better and be ready for you to sell or keep and then to enjoy the music.

$550 is about right (through ebay prices have increased). Problem is that there are not a lot of ZX7s or ZX9s out there. Also it depends on a lot a factors, including serial number (I've been looking to add a ZX7 but hard to find the correct S/N). Full service from one of the known Nak techs will increase it a few hundred.

you may find that after the years in storage, it needs to stretch. play a few tapes,
take some cassettes and forward and rewind them. then clean the capstans, rollers,
and wherever the tape path touches, etc. and if you can demagnetize the heads,

it will sound better and be ready for you to sell or keep and then to enjoy the music.

Will do, Thanks !

$550 is about right (through ebay prices have increased). Problem is that there are not a lot of ZX7s or ZX9s out there. Also it depends on a lot a factors, including serial number (I've been looking to add a ZX7 but hard to find the correct S/N). Full service from one of the known Nak techs will increase it a few hundred.

20180204_170420.jpg

I just saw one in for repairs, when I sold mine I think it ended up going for around 700 canadian.

Could be nothing but I'd check into that playback noise you are hearing. Or it could be signs of orange cap disease.

I bought my ZX-7 from a one-owner last year for $500 and sent to ES Labs for refurbishing. I had Jeff do the full restore on it.

Back
Top Bottom