Naked SX-1250 Full Frontal!

and another dirty pic!

I'd get a whiff of cigarette goop every once in awhile while I was cleaning it. I used soap and water on the silver and bottom and top plate and some WD-40 on other internals.

Used some car wax on the front...

It's coming around. :thmbsp:

There are some nicks on this old beauty. Some corrosion pitting on the internal chassis - you can tell that this receiver didn't spend it's life in the (used to be) arid southwest.

So next will be to check the dc offset and get replacement parts on the way.

Power meters aren't a necessity...I mean, who cares how much power you are cranking, as long as there's more (and there will be...) :yes:

VintageNut said:
Power meters are like breast implants, most women really don't "need" them, but they are fun to look at.

How right you are! :lmao:

Scott

"Power meters are like breast implants, most women really don't "need" them, but they are fun to look at."

I could have agreed if I didn't have a few chances to ... feel them. Ouch they are .. hard. ;)

But, power meters have a very high cool-factor.
Have YET to hear anyone complain that their unit does in fact....have them.

Agreed not really neccesary. Just another selling point, but hey!! We're buying!!

Anyway, rKic....that SX-1250 is so awesome I don't know what to say. Lucky man you are.
Russ

Great cleaning job Rkic! Nice receiver. I have its little bro the SX-950, can only imagine how the big boy sounds. By the way, where in NM do ya live? I'm in Albuquerque near the foot hills myself. Would love to get together sometime and check out each others systems.

mentalmonkey said:
I'm in Albuquerque near the foot hills myself. Would love to get together sometime and check out each others systems.

I don't think he's that type of guy.... :lmao:

I am in the process of cleaning and tuning a SX-1250 myself. I have been at every stage of your pics. What a beast! I get tired just moving it around on my bench. This is going to be my much awaited center piece. Can't wait to get it off my test speakers and hooked up to something I can crank.

kcollins4 said:
Doesn't it kill you that pioneer didn't put power meters on this model? :sigh:

Meters? We don' need no stinkin' meters! :smoke:

and as for you Mr. Vintagenut if a couple consenting adults want to get together and play with each other's systems that's up to them! :banana:

steve gibson said:
I am in the process of cleaning and tuning a SX-1250 myself. I have been at every stage of your pics. What a beast! I get tired just moving it around on my bench. This is going to be my much awaited center piece. Can't wait to get it off my test speakers and hooked up to something I can crank.

I would have hauled that beast outside for some natural sunlight pics but I got lazy and used the flash instead. I used 100 PSI compressed air for alot of it. Fortunately, the dust was fairly dry and unconglomerated though some had baked on and I think some had some type of tobacco residue baked in.

I didn't get down between the caps and transformer other than to blow it out. I used a paper towel wetted with WD-40 for cleanup. I think that the paint loses oils over time and maybe the WD-40 replaces some of them. That's just my opinion and I could be wrong. I do smell the WD-40 cooking off as the receiver heats up.

So much fun. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom