Name a movie that affected you deeply

Been going over some of the choices, trying to find a common thread to them.

Sometimes I think a tragedy tends to stay with me far longer than a feel good movie, esp if the production is based on a real life event/experience. Feel good movies have their place, but a movie that effects you tends to leave you with a changed point of view or one that a person can apply to their own life, learning by the messages shared in it.

A movie that moves you...makes you think, and often results in action wherein one goes from passive to reactive.

Hmmm?:idea:

Q

Along the lines of “movies that make you think”, I have a few. At the top of the list is “The Last Lullaby” The part that makes you think is when the protagonist “throws in” with a hit man to eliminate someone who is trying to kill her.

Last Night. A story about infidelity, both real and imagined.

Two movies that affected me as a youngster were "Moby Dick" with Gregory Peck and "The Alamo" with John Wayne. For the first ten years of my life, if someone asked me what I wanted be when I grew up. I always said "I want to be a Whaler!!!". I think my Dad's friends thought I was nuts. The Alamo overwhelmed me with a very strong sense of patriotism, which I had never experienced before. John Wayne's soliloquy about a Republic brought the hair up on the back of my neck and also brought me to the brink of tears. It still does.

Philadephia.

In America.

Elephant Man.

Blackhawk Down.

Shawshank Redemption.

Pursuit of Happyness.

Million Dollar Baby.

Billy Elliott.

The Wrestler.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

"Saving Private Ryan" was probably it for me. I think it was the first movie that really portrayed what D-Day was actually like. My dad was there but never talked about it with me. It changed him according to Mom. He liked to hunt before he went to war, not after though. I could understand why after seeing that movie. Unfortunately he died 15 years before it came out, so I never got to discuss it with him.

Cannot remember a movie that deeply affected me, but I generally struggle sitting through any movie, and cannot tolerate any violence, so that leaves some slim picking for me.

Cannot remember a movie that deeply affected me, but I generally struggle sitting through any movie, and cannot tolerate any violence, so that leaves some slim picking for me.

Am just curious why you do not tolerate some amount of (non gratuitous) violence?

Another one that get's me every time is Brian's Song, probably because it's a true story.

I defy anybody not to tear up during that movie.

I'm not sure why, but the first to pop in my head is the film Dancer in the Dark, starring Bjork. I saw it in the theater, and honestly I can't remember much of the story, but I just remember it being pretty emotionally wrenching. Director Lars Von Trier is good at that.

On the same subject, does anyone else have the experience of getting emotional watching movies on a plane? It's a common phenomenon I remember reading about somewhere, which I can relate too. I think I even got weepy watching Sleepless in Seattle once on a long flight.

Another one that get's me every time is Brian's Song, probably because it's a true story.

I defy anybody not to tear up during that movie.

What makes that movie so special? I do know what it is about and have seen the ending. I did not tear up.

I did not even tear up during Band of Brothers. I did find their resolve to finish well, amazing!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom