Name that no-name phono cartridge...

When I look at old marketing for diamond tips competing against sapphire, it is interesting that no one says diamond sounds just as good or even better than sapphire. I never noticed that before. It's always about what a better value diamond is, and how it simplifies your life and gives you one less thing to worry about. Even consideration for the hi fi store employee for not making him examine your sapphire tip under the scope every week. "Give your Hi Fi man a break!" But they never say, "sounds better!"
Longines Symphonette did "suggest a diamond stylus for finest reproduction" -- also note those tracking force recommendations! :eek:

recordcare.jpg

I ordered one of these no-name "M7" cartridges pre-mounted on a headshell from stereoneedleslady on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201528995643

She also has replacement styli available -- the only place I've been able to find them. The stylus body is similar to the Pfanstiehl 901 (MG-09 / GrooveTool) stylus but is slightly larger. With a little effort, a 901 stylus will fit on it, but not well -- it pops off easily. I wouldn't trust it.

The cartridge has a long "nose" -- I need to have it pushed almost all the way back in the headshell to achieve the proper 52 mm overhang for my Technics tonearm. But other than the rather flimsy flip-down stylus guard, the build quality doesn't seem too bad.

I mounted it and set it to the recommended 3.0 gram tracking force and my first impression is that this cartridge is extremely bright! It has a very prominent treble boost peaking at around 11.5 kHz, followed by a strange sharp dip in the response at 16.5 kHz (but my ears don't go that high, so it doesn't bother me as much). It's even brighter than the MG-09 / GrooveTool, which is already a very bright-sounding cartridge.

My example is also about 2 dB louder in the left channel than the in the right channel. And the claimed output level of 5.5 mV also seems to be an exaggeration; comparing it to my 3.5 mV AT95E, I'd say it's somewhere around 4 mV.

Otherwise it seems to be an average low-budget performer in terms of stereo separation, bass response, and tracking ability -- in fact, on some records it actually has less sibilance splatter than my Ortofon 2M Red, although that could simply be due to its conical stylus.

Here are some audio samples (use Private / Incognito mode in your browser if the links don't work):

M7 Pink Panther Theme.wav:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_oqlENevINHQ0RHN1BLbXRVSms

M7 Make Up My Mind.wav:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_oqlENevINHclc3SnozMjRkOHM

If you want good phono cartridge at an absolute rock-bottom price, just stick with the AT3600 (a.k.a. CN5625AL / AT91). I cannot recommend this one except as a curiosity!

I ordered one of these no-name "M7" cartridges pre-mounted on a headshell from stereoneedleslady on eBay:
Thanks for taking the bullet and posting your review.

Frankly, I'm not surprised....that cantilever looks brutal....I can only imagine what the tip looks like.

Several years ago I bought a Chinese LOMC that looked like a Benz, except it sported a stainless cantilever and ruby conical tip. I'm open to different materials and the price seemed reasonable enough to take a chance. Overall, it look not bad....from a distance. Up close under the m'scope it was apparent the tip was badly bobbled. In fact, it clearly hadn't undergone *any* inspection after assembly.

Never got to hear it because it went back in the box and back to the vendor. I respect badly worn vinyl too much to do that kind of damage to it.

Back
Top Bottom