Name your favorite anime / manga

Working as a director at an anime convention (Anime Weekend Atlanta) has its bonuses. Got to see a lot of stuff over the last 14 years!

My favorites:

Space Pirate Captain Harlock
Future Boy Conan (maybe the best animated TV series of all time, from a quality-of-writing and characterization standpoint, IMHO).
Starblazers/Yamato
Porco Rosso
Metropolis
Omohide Poro-Poro (Only Yesterday)
Macross- Do You Remember Love (movie)
Whispers of the Heart
Queen Millenia
Laputa (Castle in the Sky)
Galaxy Express 999
Cowboy Bebop
Steamboy

BTW: Speaking of Lynn Minmay from Macross- we've had the original voice actor/singer for the original Minmay (Mari Iijima) as a guest at our convention, two different years now (AWA 5 and AWA 12). She's a real sweetheart...

Regards,
Gordon.

:thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:

Working as a director at an anime convention (Anime Weekend Atlanta) has its bonuses. Got to see a lot of stuff over the last 14 years!

My favorites:

Space Pirate Captain Harlock
Future Boy Conan (maybe the best animated TV series of all time, from a quality-of-writing and characterization standpoint, IMHO).
Starblazers/Yamato
Porco Rosso
Metropolis
Omohide Poro-Poro (Only Yesterday)
Macross- Do You Remember Love (movie)
Whispers of the Heart
Queen Millenia
Laputa (Castle in the Sky)
Galaxy Express 999
Cowboy Bebop
Steamboy

BTW: Speaking of Lynn Minmay from Macross- we've had the original voice actor/singer for the original Minmay (Mari Iijima) as a guest at our convention, two different years now (AWA 5 and AWA 12). She's a real sweetheart...

Regards,
Gordon.

:thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:

you're a lucky, lucky guy!! MACROSS is one of my core favorites! i was initiated to it, and anime in general, through ROBOTECH fifteen years ago. i would love to find a good sub of DYRL, barring that, even a raw japanese LD would do!! i only have the movie in that infamous english dub in poorly recorded SLP. a wonderful movie, marred by a roll-on-the-floor-laughing DUB job!!:D i simply can't understand, with the wealth of great U.S. voice talent these days, why no one has tackled redubbing it!!!!:mad: anyway, Minmay's cute dress at the climax of the movie inspired me to make this for my buttercup...

DSCF0039.jpg

DSCF0046.jpg

I've recently gotten back into anime, mostly because my wife's english isn't proficient enough to keep up with most shows, and movies.

Anyway, my wife introduced me to 'Gintama', and I've been really enjoying it. It's basically a parody of historical events pertaining to the Meiji Restoration and Modernization of Japan. Many of the characters are based on real historical figures, with comedic twists. For example, the character based on Sakamoto Ryoma, historically is seen as a hero, who played a large role in the modernization of Japan, and the overthrowing of the shogunate, signaling an end to the feudal era. In the anime, Sakamoto is a con man who tricks the enemy out of their technology for himself.

Back
Top Bottom