Names of American Made Receivers

The upper photo in reply #13 is a Madison Fielding A-440 Simulcast receiver. Produced stereo reception via receiving AM & FM Simulcast transmissions. Built by Crosby, Madison Fielding was Leonard Feldman of early Hi Fi publications. Other USA receivers, add the 300 & 400 by Advent

That Madison Fielding is gorgeous. I've been looking for one for years. That SAE was made in Korea by Inkel. I have one. POS by the way. As has already been reported, the only Marantz receivers made in the US were the 18 and 19. They might say designed in the US but they were manufactured by Standard Radio in Japan after Superscope bought out Sal.

If someone is looking for a great tube receiver that doesn't have to be American made, the 1965-69 Sansui 1000A is a great one.

"I stand corrected Wyatt, you are an oak"... It appears SAE never made a "receiver" here... but plenty of amps and tuners.

My Fisher serial number is: 22946C.
Hopefully you won't mind a series of PM's when the time comes?

22946C will be a second generation unit and will have the bias pots. Disconnect the pots, measure and record the resistance from the bottom to the wiper of each. Then remove them, clean, and connect an analog ohmmeter between the bottom and the wiper. Turn each one through its range. If there is any hiccup in the resistance, clean again and clean some more. It is that slight disconnect that will send the bias through the roof. Then, set them to the original values and reinstall. Might have to tweak them a bit for approximately 30 mA through the emitter resistors, then touch up slightly to correct any DC offset.

Alternately, replace the pots with new sealed pots. Power dissipation is less than 0.1 watt and I don't know why they needed these huge wirewound units. Better yet, go back to the 600-T restoration thread and look at my redesigned bias network. The series and parallel fixed resistors "trap" the total value between 2.2 and 4.5 ohms which allows for a range of approximately 1/2 to 2 times the proper bias.

Rather than PMs, just put it in a thread, preferably on the Fisher forum. There will possibly be others that will be interested in the information.

Not receivers, but Dynaco stuff was also made in USA. (did Dynaco ever make a receiver or was an integrated as close as they came?)
They came pretty close, by offering a double-height cabinet intended to house a tuner and integrated amp (or preamp) together. No cigar, for this thread anyway.

I have a KLH 27 as my kitchen stereo.

View attachment 1095626

A fine unit. I had one that I restored last year. One of the finest, compact receivers I ever come across. Sold it late last year. Another that I let slip away. However.....I have found another in slightly better physical condition, but needs electronic restoration, which I am in the middle of. Hopefully will be working again in all its fine glory very soon.

Mcintosh made some great receivers over the years. MAC 1500,1700,1900, 4100, 4280, and a 4300. Even today you can buy an integrated amp that has space for a tuner module. Does 200 watts per channel sound like enough? There is the current MAC 6700, and its replacement the MAC 7200 that has an additional plug-in update-able DAC. Its named the MAC 7200. It has the latest output devices an all sort of other innovative ideas. Its a keep it simple unit, that can be set up to match many different sources operating levels,too. An all in one unit for those who want the best, but don't want to sacrifice space or spend big money for separates. Once purchased you'll get a life time of enjoyment from this piece.

Last edited:
Like an acid flashback, I just remembered two other receivers that at least purported to be "made in U.S.A."...

032.jpg

033.jpg

source: www.radioshackcatalogs.com (1966 Christmas Gift Book)

A fine unit. I had one that I restored last year. One of the finest, compact receivers I ever come across. Sold it late last year. Another that I let slip away. However.....I have found another in slightly better physical condition, but needs electronic restoration, which I am in the middle of. Hopefully will be working again in all its fine glory very soon.

It sounds really good with a pair of KLH Fourteen B.

Back
Top Bottom