Nascar at Indy

JoeESP9

ESL's & tubes since 83
What a yawn fest. The fact that the stands are conspicuously devoid of people should tell the NASCAR people something. A bunch of identical chassis' with minor bodywork differences (mostly paint) running the same engine (all built by the same company) makes for boring racing. When you couple that with NASCARS's tendency to bring out Yellow flags any time anyone gets a flat or someone drops a hot dog wrapper on the track you end up with a yawn fest. Booring!!!!

I can't wait for next Sunday. The Hungarian Grand Prix is on. F1 has at least three different engines and several different chassis'. Not boring!

I've turned on The X-Games even though I don't understand the whole skateboarding thing.

Just switched to Fox to watch the mile high NHRA nationals.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to watch NASCAR in several years. The move from factory teams to "privately owned and sponsored" teams for the Winston Cup Series was the beginning of the slide downward.

Indy cars run in the Indy 500. They at least have two engine choices although they all use the same Delara chassis. Even so, they are very different from F1 cars. The US F1 GP has been held in Texas for the last few years. It's a real road course. F1 cars have multiple chassis' to choose from and at least four (Ferrari, MB, Renault, Honda) different engines (power units in F1 speak).

I went to the Brickyard race 13 years in a row (missed the first year), and had a great time even though it is a terrible track to watch a race. In those days it was still racing, and the Busch and Trucks raced at Indianapolis Raceway Park which was fantastic.

I haven't watched a NASCAR race in years as they have turned it into a joke. I think they killed the races at IRP too.

I never cared for the IROC races either. Everything exactly the same.
I believe the concept is that if drivers are racing identical cars, it's a true test of racing skills. Not that I am all in favor of this approach, but there is a certain amount of truth to it.

Some years ago, I was sitting at a light in a '06 Kia Spectra in San Antonio in the center (left or straight) lane which is the lane you should be in if getting onto the highway from the access road. A Dodge Charger with the 6.0 hemi pulled up in the right lane. It was obvious that the kid driving it intended to get on the highway ahead of me. Unfortunately for him, he doesn't know how to race. So, with my little 2.0 four cylinder engine, I beat him. True story!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom