Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by cwh, May 28, 2017.
Mark at Blueglow Electronics had an interesting video on this subject this morning:
Well, just my opinion having done this once. Low pressure dribble of rinse water after paint brush scrubbing with Windex will most liikely not harm your unit. Like I said, stay away from the meters and dial and the rest is not going to be hurt. You are going to replace the velum anyway and the transformer is painted and well sealed. Pressure wash? No way. Dribble rinse - not a problem. (All of this assumes solid state). The key is good hot drying. There is no way water molecules are going to stay in any component after a few days in a hot Texas summer garage. Cooler climes? Can't speak for that. But IMO, zero pressure water followed by compressed air removal of excess water and a few days of direct sun or hot garage heat will remove every water molecule. I did it a year ago to a 2245 before recapping and it sounds great today.
Geez for a second I thought I was being called out.
To be clear no hoses nor pressure washers were used, not yet...
Just a localized spritz, followed by some agitation, and finished up via removal through vacuum.
Just a comment. I would just clean it as it comes apart to be recapped with alcohol and the vacuum. Anyone that has worked on these units, that is younger than these units has to realize, in the 70s and 80s a larger percentage of the population of America smoked. To find one that hasn't been around smoke would be more the exception than the rule. I bought a 2230 that had been in a bar for who knows how many years, and as you can imagine, was caked in nicotine, dirt, beer, and whatever and it smelled like smoke. You just have to get them apart and clean everything you can, but basically restore them. I don't think there's a short cut to making them smell like new.
I've heard amps that sound like sh*t but smelled? Double whammy
If it comes to a full rebuild then I'll definitely be breaking the unit down and cleaning parts individually. I buy discarded gear from a recycler and there's always a level of filth that doesn't need to enter my workbench nor my living space.
Along those lines of repair/rebuild, this is my adult entry into the vintage Marantz club. Always game for virtual company if anyone wants to hang and assist.
This project is to make amends for abandoning a nice one as a teenager in the early 90s. Can't remember the exact model. Probably 2270, wood cased and belonged to my step mom. I had it running with Dad's vintage KLHs. The unit stopped working so took it to repair shop and never retrieved it. I don't know why, stupid teenager, spooked by $100+ repair quote? Still carrying that weight of regret which also includes losing grandpa's Fisher tube integrated and large 60s furniture speakers.
Don't feel bad. Nearly all of us have our audio equipment regrets. I bought a 2245 new in 1972 and a 5010 cassette deck in 1973. Both were mint when I moved in the early 90's and sold both in a garage sale for $100. The Home Theater age had begun, and I thought the stereo age had ended. Thank God I didn't sell my record collection, so when I came to my senses 20 years later, I just needed equipment to relive my youth.
The sun finally came out.
MAP sensor cleaner from any Auto parts store works wonders:<)
Nature's Miracle is great on cat urine stink.
Specific cleaning or as general?
MAPs and MAFs, different sensors but both use MAF cleaner right? MAF cleaner is pretty much naphtha.
My little dude in the avitar got me using Bac-out enzyme cleaner for the occasional stomach issue on antique carpets. Works awesome. I thought about mixing it with a sudsing agent to keep it in place and spraying the Marantz.
It is used for cleaning mass airflow sensor so as to not leave a residue.
It is the MAF Cleaner
Handsome pup there! I wouldn't use a pressure washer for sure, nor a dishwasher or anything that has pressure.
I decided to take some voltage readings and noticed the heat sink was putting off some warmth. Checked and adjusted for idle current and dc offset. Bias voltage was good but offset was high. Adjustment was a fail. I'll revisit when I'm a little more awake. Still got to track down that subtle distortion too.
Thanks, he's our boy!
Hey gang, this previously fury urine drenched receiver is back and finally seeing some bench time.
Shout out to @Steven Tate for his quick reply to my voltage adjustment/schematic error post. Yes ground to pin J722=35v.
Main amp/PS and tone boards have been recapped and she’s sounding good with Gil Evens through the bench speakers. I’ll hit the phono next. The only 35mm +10k filter caps I had in my parts bin were Chemi-Con 15k. The inrush is more pronounced so a triac would be wise. Think I got some too.
With all the electronics sorted I’ll get to dealing with the effects of the filth. Removal of minor frame rust and application of cold galvanizing coating where old has been stripped away. Final cleaning and reassembly.
Looking forward to plugging it into to my Bozaks and experiencing the Marantz Sound.
All tuned up and partially assembled. Couldn’t resist plugging it in.
Wow! Sounds very capable playing through Bozak 302s. Feels much more muscular than 38 watts.
I like it a lot. Hope you can find a balance knob.
Separate names with a comma.