Neat article about the Yammie NS-1000

I think the HPM's are close. I always kinda thought the HPM series was a reply by Pioneer to Yamaha's advance of the art.
The Phase Linear P-530 that I have are Pioneer-made. I think these are even closer to the NS-1000's. While the two bigger PL speaker systems actually had Pioneer Japan counterparts, I have not found that to be so with the P-530. The P-530 uses a boron dome tweet. For a long time I had believed it was also a beryllium dome. Rare-earth element, anyway. Super light.
Like the NS-1000, the HPM's will reveal flaws in a system, but are a bit more forgiving.
The Yamaha 'voice,' though, has always been a very flat and neutral sound. The HPM's seem to have a bit of warmth in the bottom, a nod to the design by the JBL guy (gosh I've forgot his name) Pioneer 'stole' away in the mid/late 70s.

Hey thanks for answering my question Pete. I thought that they seemed similar in construction. I'd love to here a set of those sometime it would make an interesting comparison to my 1100's! :)

ttyl,

I am an extremely privledged and lucky owner of a pair of NS-1000x and can only agree with the review, their now discontinued NS-200/300 floorstanders were very much in the class of the NS-1000 in terms of accuracy and neutral sound, too bad unlike the NS-1000, they were never marketed in US.

Back
Top Bottom