NEAT Turntable/Headshell

MRL_Audio

RIP 2022
Subscriber
Looking for some help here. I recently acquired a NEAT turntable from a member here. The tone arm is also a NEAT product. The tonearm headshell is like none I have seen before although I have run across some Garrard's that look similar. The headshell appears to be one piece with four connection points/flat plates, in the rear that mate with the balance of the arm. On the other end of the four connection points/flat plates are the connection points for the cartridge on the inside of the headshell. I have included some pictures below. I am at a loss as to how I would solder in replacement wires for a refresh. Obviously the cartridge can be removed but I am at a loss as to how one would get to the soldering points. Any thoughts appreciated and thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Neat TP-6812a.jpg
    Neat TP-6812a.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 118
  • NEAT_HS_1.jpg
    NEAT_HS_1.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 107
  • NEAT_HS_2.jpg
    NEAT_HS_2.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 108
  • NEAT_HS_3.jpg
    NEAT_HS_3.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 112
Looks like you are going to have to pull the cartridge and go in low and from the front. Hopefully you have a soldering iron with a very thin tip.

Green and yellow would be tough little buggers to get at in place for sure.
That brown part in top right pic...don't suppose thats some manner of key that may be able to be removed so things might be shuffled around for some manner of easier? I mean, I always figure that humans assembled it somehow initially (but glue may be the tie breaker).
Otherwise its back to lit magnification, clamping, tiny tip on the soldering iron and positive thoughts.
Alternate reality may be test to make sure continuity is cool, and continue on as things are, keeping your fingers crossed they remain as such.

Last edited:
Getting to those pins on the top side would be tricky, for sure. What's wrong with the existing wires?

Nothing yet. I am in the process of cleaning, lubing etc. and was thinking I might want to change the wiring. One is broke but lucky me it's the ground wire and on the top.

Wondering if your GA-12 headshell had spacers on it?

Mine does as the attached pictures show.

I assume they will screw off, but they aren't budging. Before I apply more pressure I thought I'd ask if yours had the spacers.

Also, the pins have been summed for mono, and I hope to find a way to change that back to stereo.

Any insight you can provide would be great. Thank you.

IMG_2798.JPG IMG_2802.JPG IMG_2810.JPG

My arm has no spacers but my guess is these should come out. I would try to spray some WD40 and let it soak for sometime before putting more pressure on them for removal. Can you add a picture that shows the inside of the arm where the finger lift screw and metal tab assembly are? Would be the side where the Blue and Green wires are.

Last edited:
Sent you couple of pictures. Let me know if you need more.

Got the spacers off, a little more force and that was it. But man, they were on tight.

The solder connections are poor to terrible, and when you get done here you will be an expert... I hope! I would not go crazy, but it is a good idea to replace all that is there with new carefully. Cold solder joints do not pass low voltage well.

Back
Top Bottom