Necessary to update audio only laptop?

stereory

I have a laptop that I use strictly to playback flac files with foobar and my DAC.

I stripped the laptop of most every program that I was sure was not necessary. I turned off all updates and it does not have connection to the internet.

Do I have to be concerned at all with updating this laptop in anyway? I am assuming updates like that are for security reasons when your connected to the internet, so its unnecessary in this case... is that a correct assumption?

I agree, leave it alone and it should just keep chuggin along.

I would say that most of my issues with all the computers I have are caused by fiddling with it instead of leaving it alone!

What system are you using for this playback system? W10, W7, XP pro......

Not connected to the internet makes it low risk, but when you say "not connected to the internet" do you really mean it? Is this computer completely disconnected from all network connections and 100% stand alone? If so then its only risk would be the potential of an infected or compromised drive thst you connect to it (which I assume you do in order to copy music to it. That risk can be low and mitigated by having reliable antivirus on any computer you also connect that drive to.

If the computer is on your network at all then you should update it and keep updated antivirus running on it.

Updates are: superficial benefits you don't need, amended code which was wrong in the first place, amendments to keep the software ahead of the competitors :rant:

Updates are: superficial benefits you don't need, amended code which was wrong in the first place, amendments to keep the software ahead of the competitors :rant:

This is absolutely false. If you are running windows then not installing critical updates puts you at risk. Many critical updates patch discovered exploits that malicious code can use to compromise your system. Same is true for some 3rd party software particularly things like browsers, flash, which can also be used to compromise your system. I am an IT proffessional and say this with absolute certainty and knowledge of what I'm saying. I'm sure some tinfoil hatter will come in and say that I'm just perpetuating that myth to justify my job. :rolleyes:

I am not in the computer or IT business, just a paranoid layman. This is a no brainer to me

If, and only if, your laptop is completely and permanently isolated from the internet and any local network and any other device, there is no need to update.

If you ever plug in a USB device, an SD card, a CD, an outboard backup drive, etc., even one time, then it is not completely isolated. The crude analogy is an open wound getting splashed with someone else's infected blood just one time.

Back
Top Bottom