Need a bit of help deoxing volume control on my Pioneer SX1050

roadie1: Good to hear your new filter caps sounded better!

Annubis: The front panel comes off failrly easily, the top and bottom panels come off first, then most of the front knobs pull straight off, except for the tuner knob which is held on with 1.5mm Allen hex type set screws. There are a couple phillips screws and a few nuts on the pots/switches that then hold on the front face. About a 10 minute job to remove it. On mine, there was alot of dust behind the glass, on the dial face, etc. worth removing it just to clean that out, IMHO. The service manual has the diagrams that show all the screws that need to be removed, and their placements.

Underside with the bottom panel removed:
IMG_4837.jpg

Front face plate removed, Three phillips head screws need to come off to remove the board:
IMG_4843.jpg

Stripped chassis after I reinstalled the boards:
IMG_4846.jpg

My SX-1050 is somewhat of a beater, some deep scratches and dents on the front panel and glass, so I was not too afraid to take it apart!
IMG_4836.jpg

Thanks for the info and pics Marty! (Poor sx-1050, aw).:D
I have found most faces are easy to take off. Doesn't your 1050 volume knob have set screws holding it on? Mine has two holes in the side I am assuming are for set screws because I can't just pull that knob off, I've tried (carefully of course).

d'Oh Yes, it does, 1.5mm! With the proper hex wrench it comes off easily!

One of these days, I'll get lucky and find a replacement face and glass on epay, or maybe I'll make some "Custom" trim to cover the big dent. The wood isn't too bad, though.

After checking out this thread and seeing that just getting to the volume control for DeOxit was too much for me , I tried something else . After trying to turn the knob back and forth and still getting light static , I pulled out slightly on the volume knob and twisted and then pushed in the knob and twisted it . Static was gone . I must stress there was no play in my volume knob , it still seemed to clean up the static noise . Maybe worth trying .

These stereo's actually came with a Allen key wrench. I still have mine.
Does this ALPS volume pot say "ACW-116-0" & "7Nb-100Kx2" on the back of it?
They called these black beauties.
I bought one many years ago for a stereo i was building. I never liked it because the step sizes were to coarse and the first step was too loud. Could never figure why Pioneer liked this over a regular non-detented pot. They were going for better tracking error I believe.

I know this is an old thread, but I find that researching old threads sometimes finds me information that is helpful. The volume pot on my SX-1050 was very staticky (is that a word??) and the right and left channels would come and go. I de-soldered the volume pot and was able to spray both potentiometers (one by removing the two screws holding the plastic box together and prying it open enough to spray inside). After reinstalling the pot, I was still having issues. I began cleaning/lubing the push button controls and when I sprayed the 30 Hz button, all my problems were solved (or is it dissolved?). I used EchoWars technique as shown in this thread:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...-at-the-switches-sx-1250.213228/#post-2528930
Hope this helps someone!

Back
Top Bottom