Need a cd/sacd player- Sony Owners please give opinions ?

mykenytemare

I have asked question before and have gotten some advice but it doesnt seem to be exactly what I need.
I have about $400 or so to get a CD/SACD player at the moment since I currently have no CD player (will have money for modifications later on -like those performed by sacdmods.com).

I want to get something that has a real good lens/transport with good sound. I really just want a solid one disc or 5-disc player that is silver in color (to go with my vintage stuff).

I have seen and heard new players like the Sony DVP-NS9100ES and the DVP-NS999ES and they are okay, but they are built more for DVDs and I have been told that the older SCD* (C555ES) and CDP* models are better.

Sony owners, please speak up with opinions!

I Have Owned A Couple

I have owned a Sony SCD-777ES. What a tank! However, they do have a history of sled issues. I also have owned a SCD-595, which was modified by Tube Research Labs. Never had it in stock form, so cant comment on its performance that way. Modded, it was rich, full bodied, and a bit dark sounding. Nice player. But the mod package is around 700 or so. Never had any mechanical issues.

With that said, unless you own a buttload of SACD's, then why bother. The format is dying. I sold my two dozen SACD's and my player 1.5 years ago. I achieve far better performance with a good DAC and stand alone transport.

For a budget playback system, I would consider the Channel Islands DAC, or find a good used unit off of Audiogon. A Phillips DVP 642 DVD player makes a suprisingly good transport, and they can be had for $59.

Thats my thoughts on the subject. YMMV.

Regards
Mister Pig

I have had good success with my Philips DVD-963sa sacd single disc player. They can be had used for $150-200, and feature 192Kkhz upsampling. I bought mine used 2 years ago and have never had a problem with it. Good looking silver unit with remote. I had 2 Sony SACD's before it and it blew them away.
Regards,
Jim

ok...if I shouldn't bother with the SACDs...then I just a good CD player with excellent sound?

Still need some more opinions!

That CI stuff looks interesting though....but I really don't want to start having seperate convertors and other thigns...my system is all vintage and I want it took look clean with only a CD player unit if possible.

I recomend a Denon DCD-1500 I bought one last weekend for 5 bucks and its better then any CDP we have ever had literally.

Shawn.

I wouldn't worry too much about SACD disappearing anytime soon. New disks are coming out every day. If you don't believe me, try to browse through the entire SACD catalogue at elusiveDisc.com (way too manyto browse).

You can get a nice silver Pioneer DV-563A-S for not too much green. They are quite respectable, with their nice audio section: DVD-A, SACD, MP3, redbook, etc.

Enjoy,
Rich P

There's 5082+ SACD's to choose from and more coming out daily, well worth investing in.

http://www.sa-cd.net/

Sony SACD playback can be decent, their redbook playback leaves alot to be desired. The modded units do much better.

I have the Sony 2000 ES SACD player, it's a 5 disc with remote and I like it. I always wanted the 555 ES but never had the bucks. I have had no problems. Only objection is that initially it takes what seems like a long time to read the disc. I think they go for around $250-275 new.

+1 for the Sony SCD2000ES. I like the 5 disc changer option and remote. The 2-channel output is no slouch IMO. It has been running trouble-free for a little over 3 years now.

Ashok

I don't have much of a budget... I'm going with an Oppo DV-980H... 169.00. It will do double duty as a DVD player and CD player.

Why not look for a used Marantz SA8001? Highly regarded player online and in audio rags......

I did a pretty comprehensive review of 5 players that might give you some insights here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=130695

Lots of excellent comments too.

Bottom line? The Sony SCD-2000ES for about $250. Silver face, excellent real button interface, that smooth Sony SACD sound. It is a 5 disk changer where some (me for one) prefer a single disk player. That's based on the extrapolation from the very similar SCD-C595.

A good number of universal players allow one to turn off the video circuits while listening to music. My favorites, the DVP-N9000ES and the DVP-9100ES do that.

I just pulled the trigger on a DVP-S9000 ES, based in no small part on whitehall's excellent, helpful review. $240 shipped with a brand new laser block installed.

I have yet to actually see one of these units, but it sounds like the user interface is kind of "eclectic". Some people seem to like it, while those who appreciate a well thought out, tactile, non-gimmicky set up have some gripes.

Aside from that, it appears to be a very well built player and amenable to some serious upgrades. ~$300 seems to be the going rate.

The 9000 has all the buttons one needs right on the front. The problem is that they are smallish and lack tactile or aural feedback. One has to wait for the logic circuits to light the lights around the buttons to know if your command has been received and acted upon.

Not perfect but completely workable without a screen. The 9100, 2000, and C595 have better buttons but the same general complement.

Just picked up a Sony SCD_C2000ES on CL in silver, but it seems to need some service (belt/lube, alignment).

Is there any place that services and modifies (like ReferenceAudioMods) this unit?

Back
Top Bottom