need a change after 10 years with cambridge audio C500/P500

b_sdaddy

Dear experts,
I need advice, primarily on the budget for replacing my Cambridge Audio C500 & P500.

After 10 years of annually swapping my speakers, I've got myself a pair of RAM speakers. For me, they easily out perform last years' favorites; B&W DM2 and DM4. When I got these, they replaced a pair of Yamaha NS 670's. ( I'm not allowed to stockpile gear, so if I see something nice, something has too make way.)

I like the Rams so much, that I'm thinking of swapping my trusted amp combo of the last 10 years; Cambridge Audio C500 and P500.

To see a significant improvement in performance, what do I need to outlay.? The budget will be from the sale of the two pairs of B&W's and the amps. With a bit of pocketmoney thrown in, I can see around £/€500 achievable.

Too much, too little.?

And although I have a philips CD for backups, my main source is a Lenco L70.

Last question, and with this, keep 'vintage' along with the other components, or go new?!

cheers for any advice

( I'm not allowed to stockpile gear, so if I see something nice, something has too make way.)
"She who must be obeyed"?
I'd say since you like the Ram's so much then you have probably excellent speaker impedance matched to your amp set up. Whole thing is the sound you like... the amp is producing sound and speakers are getting all of what you like to hear. So perhaps flog the excess and pocket the money... as bribery.. a few flowers now and then don't hurt.

"She who must be obeyed"?
I'd say since you like the Ram's so much then you have probably excellent speaker impedance matched to your amp set up. Whole thing is the sound you like... the amp is producing sound and speakers are getting all of what you like to hear. So perhaps flog the excess and pocket the money... as bribery.. a few flowers now and then don't hurt.

wow! never thought of it like that. Will keep & enjoy, but might seek out a shop that'll lend me a-nother amp for the weekend. I'm accustomed to speaker swapping and the 'obvious' differences between them. I'd still like to put something into the equation to see what happens....

Thanks for the solid advice, and yes,occasional flowers are nice.

Don't risk the speakers you like! but you have stock for experiments... flowers... delay tactics.. like honey? how does this sound? dance a little? :D

Back
Top Bottom