Need a little help and answers folks

Cruzah

I have a Acer notebook and everytime I try to watch a music video thats 720 HD or above it gets all screwy.
First it'll start pausing, then I have to use disk clean up and wait for a couple mins before The computer starts acting right again.
In some cases I've had to do a System Restore to speed it up again.
My system has over 200 GB free nd I don't see what th problem is.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Are running an active antivirus? Have you run anything like Malwarebytes? What video player are you using? Is the content of what you are trying to watch using a special codec?

If you haven't tried anything other than windows media player I would try either VLC Player or my favorite MPC-HC. Both of these are free and already have the codec decoders built into them and should play smoother than the regular wmp.

maybe video card cant handle it .. or not enough ram is more likely .. stop all unneeded processes and try again .. either that or try a different operating system ..

@loop2kil...
The only video program I have would probably be media player as I aven't downloaded or bought another program.
The video's are basically from U-tube.
Thanks maybe I do need another video player.

@petehall...
Yeah thats what one of my friends was saying about the video card.
Its the one that came with the system.
Sometimes I am on another website while I'm listening to another.

driver update?

How old is the laptop? I have an older HP and cannot playback You Tube videos without pauses, stuttering, etc.

max out the ram then try again .. its not expensive these days ..simple to install too .. you can use some hard drive space as ram but it never helped for me just made it worse ..
i think its more important than the cpu speed ..
you might be sharing ram with video card ..i don't know your setup .. its a bit of a trade off sometimes ..

@loop2kil...
The only video program I have would probably be media player as I aven't downloaded or bought another program.

@petehall...

Has it ALWAYS been like this, or was it working fine but only RECENTLY started having issues? If it's just recently, then it could either be the video card on it's way out, or your laptop might have some extensions that are hogging up the RAM. I remember reading about the computer having a "leaky process" (Google it). or you could simply have a virus issue.

I've had some issues with my video lately, and this started happening recently. I'm worried it's my video card (I use my laptop a lot... especially for playing music... I want to go back to a desktop, but I need a way to use it with my speaker setup... My desktop made a better music-server system).

Listening to Lou Reed's "Rock & Roll Animal" right now... (Not that this has anything to do with anything).

Last edited:
@loop2kil...

@petehall...

Oh I see...youtube could be something different. 720p isn't huge but on a slow 6mbps dsl that I had I had trouble cleanly streaming any hd content from yt. I now have a 30mbps cable and no more issues.

I had considered processor/video speed but when he said he had 200gb free I figured it was at least a newer laptop with that big of a hd. So I kinda ruled that out though it could still be an issue.

You never said whether you had checked for virus' and malware. These can certainly give issues to any kind of computer use.

@loop...
I scan for virus's and malware and get the all clear from My windows defender program.

@Gang-Tanger
I wanta get My Desktop back together also their a lot easier to change parts on than with a laptop or a notebook.

@Geespot...
Its about 2 years old now.

I like My little notebook though because I have it hooked up to the Sony system via earphone plug in My bedroom and I can chill on the bed and Jam.
(its seriously a BOOMING system too)

Oh well, I guess I've just gotta keep the Video's under 720 until I do some work on it.
Thanks a Million for all the suggestions...They helped a lot.

Last edited:
Enter Mr. Peabody's Way Back Machine:
Weezer. Windows 95 on the new 800 megabyte hard drive. Running Quicktime 2.
Sounds great. Downloads by dialup run perfectly.

Flash forward to 2012: Windows 7 on the new 3 Terabyte hard drive. Running Adobe Flash Player 13 or whatever it is and all the updates are installed and the antivirus is working away in the background along with the other 84 programs you don't know anything about. Sounds the same, when it doesn't lock up and crash, which is all the time. Downloads by "high speed" broadband connection won't load at all.
Go figure.

Enter Mr. Peabody's Way Back Machine:
Weezer. Windows 95 on the new 800 megabyte hard drive. Running Quicktime 2.
Sounds great. Downloads by dialup run perfectly.

Flash forward to 2012: Windows 7 on the new 3 Terabyte hard drive. Running Adobe Flash Player 13 or whatever it is and all the updates are installed and the antivirus is working away in the background along with the other 84 programs you don't know anything about. Sounds the same, when it doesn't lock up and crash, which is all the time. Downloads by "high speed" broadband connection won't load at all.
Go figure.

too much going on in the machine .. strip it down to bare minimum as in running processes plus installed crap you don't need and it will work super doopa .. my laptop is bare minimum for my work related program no crap running in back ground no internet anti this that and the other ..it works fine ..

That site reported a top speed of .85 Megs but it dropped off most of the time between zero and .25 on the ADSL broadband high speed connection.

That site reported a top speed of .85 Megs but it dropped off most of the time between zero and .25 on the ADSL broadband high speed connection.

Hehe, that was meant for the op but since you did it

.85 mbps is really slow....you wont be able to do much streaming at all much less stream hd content.

too much going on in the machine .. strip it down to bare minimum as in running processes plus installed crap you don't need and it will work super doopa .. my laptop is bare minimum for my work related program no crap running in back ground no internet anti this that and the other ..it works fine ..

I don't use most of the pre-installed programs on my computer. But I can't figure out what programs I can safely-uninstall without making the computer go berzerk on me? I've gotten rid of the BS extensions/toolbars, but I still could use a lot more power. What I seem to need is more RAM.

@pete...
It serves as My photography computer also, But I delete most Images after I print them.

Ping: 65MS
Download Speed: 3.38Mbps
Upload Speed: 2.48Mbps

That's your problem right there, while your upload seems good your download speed is not. I use to get a full 6mbps with my dsl but still had horrible issues with yt videos. Once I upgraded to a 30mbps cable connection those issues are gone. I know in theory we both should be able to play hd videos from yt but it just isn't the case.

@Loop...
Oh well, its Back to grooveshark for Me I guess.
LOL!

I'm running Windows 7 starter.

Back
Top Bottom