Need a little help with a sx 1080. PLEASE

Away from my bench till Tuesday afternoon. Will follow instructions and report back. Thanks a million and fingers crossed.

Ok - test results are as follows: pin 4 is 4.4 volts and pin 5 is 13 volts. C-42 out/ pin 4 is 4.4 volts and pin 5 is 13 volts. Also pulled C-43 and had same voltages on both pins. Audio output was the same in both tests, pin 4 has audio and pin 5 has NO AUDIO. Drattts

Does not sound good for Q6(PA1001-A) , if those voltage do not match what is printed on the schematic. I have never measured them myself I guess you could verify that R33-R36 are correct values.
I guess that you could also measure/record all the voltages around Q6(PA1001-A). Verify the filtered supply voltage at R32/C36.
I do see one company on aliexpress selling this part but I have never used them before.
It is also said that Toko KB4437 is the same part.
there are other options to use a different stereo demodulator chip, but that is more work since they are not pin compatible.

Good luck

Thanks for your reply rcs 16/ I have a good working 1080/ would it hurt to pull my chip and install in the broken one?? I don't wanna damage my good chip either.

You are fortunate in having another unit to test with. Check those other Q6 voltages in the failed unit first and the R's that I mentioned above. Also measure that the voltages in the working 1080 compare against the schematic to verify that they are correct in the schematic.
Then if all is okay, I would suggest to use Q6 from the good unit. Use an IC socket in both the units to make it easier to swap them in/out.

Yaaaaaaaaaa/ swapped the pa1001a from my good stereo to the old one and she is singing in sterio now on fm. Now I just have to get the replacement part for my good one. One last problem this old one has is the Fm tuning gauge works periodically. But the signal meter works all the time. Any suggestions?? That's a bunch rcs16 and mtf for all your help to a guy that's just learning this stuff. It is so fun when I get a problem worked out, even if it took me the better part of 2 days lol

The FM center tuning meter gets switched through one set of contacts in the FM function selector switch, S10c. You can check its continuity from pin 28 to 30 on GWS-125, probably needs a good cleaning. Of course do this with the power off.

Good, so now you need to find a pa1001a, let me know how that works out. One option is to get one from a lower cost doner unit in the sx-x80 series. If you can not find one, there is the option of using a different chip, but that involves a bit of work and at least a perf board to be made up.

Back
Top Bottom