Need a price....JBL L166....possible purchase

XplicitActs

I'm looking at a pair on CL. Seller claims enclosures are clean. They were bought at an estate sale. Both woofers need refoamed.

Only issue is the seller was told by a friend that they had themselves recently sold the same speakers for $900 so unfortunately now the sellers is expecting big money for these projects.

Need some feedback and a fair market value for these speakers. Not to mention I'll have to drive 3+ hours to pick up

Thanks guys.

If you search ebay for this model, then click Sold Listings on the column to the left, you'll see a bunch of pairs sold for $399 - $950. You will have to do your own research on 1) the median price and 2) condition of each pair that was sold. I suspect they are mostly if not all in full operating condition. I usually list them out by price and condition and find the median (not the average but the center) of items most like yours. Junker or pristine customized units are outliers and can be ignored for example. And of course there should be a discount off ebay prices for a local sale, perhaps 1/4-1/3. You might negotiate by pricing a professional refoam from somewhere like Midwest Speaker Repair, Orange County Speaker, Great Plains Audio, etc. Include shipping of the woofers both ways.

It starts to look like a lot less than $900 when you do all that. Remind them that if they sell them on ebay, they have to carefully pack those monsters and risk having them damaged. And pay ebay fees.

BTW this thread really should be in Dollars & Sense.

My apologies for placing this thread in the wrong location.

I've viewed ebay listing and did the normal Google search looking for possible value. I've even explained to the seller that I wasn't trying to insult but I feel her asking price is a little much and was told her price is firm. I appreciate your response and completely agree with you post.
I think I'll hold off and tomorrow simply send and offer and ask that she keeps her ad up and sees if she is offered more and consider mine if she doesnt. It isn't make or break for me. Like ands lot of you guys I am trying to conserve history and send enjoy what is out there. I also think they look.rather sexy.

Thread moved - no problem ...

It is all about local supply and demand on CL. If your neighbor really wants them bad, they might pay near the asking price tonight. Or they might sit there for months and never get an offer for 1/2 of asking. You can't control what others will pay. Make an honest offer and tell the seller you are willing to wait a month or two (or whatever you think is reasonable).

Meanwhile...keep your cash ready and keep looking...

All you can do is make a fair offer and wait it out. It’s a little painful to sit and wait for the seller to see the light, but that’s how I ended up with my ADS L1530’s. Waited a lady out for a couple weeks and sweated it the whole time!

I sent a.respectful text about the condition and their asking price. IIl let it sink in a little and shot another text with my best offer tomorrow. Where would you guys want to be considering the condition and the drive to pick them up? I know. I know....as little as possible.

Well the thing about these speakers is that you don't see them turn up too often, as they were very costly when new (about $1000/pr IIRC).
I don't believe they sold the volume that they did with the L100.
As has been pointed out, Craigslist doesn't necessarily mean bargain pricing. It only takes one person to want something and pay the price, whether overpriced or not. Best of luck, hopefully it works out for you. I have a pair and am very happy with them. If the local pair get sold, you may consider watching eBay. From the looks of things, pricing is all over the map. You may fins a bargain after all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom